Thank God for Battery Air Bubbler!!

starrfish

Non-member
Thanks to Bec and everyone who contributed to that thread a few weeks ago about battery operated air bubblers. I bought 2 from Marc at Fishy Business just a couple of weeks ago, and that's what saved my fish through the night! We were without power for 5 hours. I was floating ziplock bags of hot water in the tank trying to keep it warm, and I had it covered with a thick blanket. Temp got down to 75, but everyone seems to be ok this morning. Temp is still on the rise. Looks like a generator or a battery backup for the whole system needs to be factored into my new tank cost! I was worried sick all night.

I hope everyone else made out ok. I'm worried about Marc and the store - not sure if he got the generator hooked up yet.

One thing to note, the battery bubblers should be plugged into the same circuit that your pumps(s) are on. That way if only THAT breaker kicks out, then the battery bubblers kick in.
I have battery bubbler on pump circuit, then another on Tunze circuit. So if either circuit trips, at least one bubbler will kick in. If all power kicks out, then they all kick in
If you have livestock in a fuge and/or frag tank/multiple tanks, same thing

My generator is dead I think, a victim of a flood (nature) at my last house :(

Me too Bec! I'm getting ideas on another thread for a long-term (bigger!) solution for my new tank. The drop in the temp was scary...but I just kept remembering back to the story you told me about air/circulation being the most important thing during a power outage. And sure enough, everyone looks great today. Thanks so much for the tip on the battery air bubblers!

I had issues with my tanks too last night. But I'm happy to say that everyone made it. :) They all had their little scarves on for a bit. ;)

Glad to hear it Daire. Here in South Yarmouth, we didn't lose power at all. Though, we had the pumps ready to go, just in case.

You guys were lucky. I can't believe how worried I was all night. Even my husband was waking up every hour making suggestions on how to keep the tank temp up. I want to have piece of mind next time around. I'm going away mid-January and want to have a battery back-up set up by then.

Back