The Aiptasia hunt!

LuizaSaad

Non-member
Hi Everyone! My name is Luiza and I’m a postdoc researcher at MIT. I’m currently developing research on the nudibranch Berghia stephanieae. I’m trying to understand their regeneration capacities, and how they accomplished regenerating their bodies and ceratas, which is really cool. I currently have a big aquarium with 9 reproductive adults. But I'm running into a big problem. Unfortunately, my Aiptasia colony is not keeping up with the Berghia hungry. They are eating them way too fast. So I know it’s very unusual, but I'm on a search for Aiptasia. Maybe you are trying to get rid of them or know better tips for raising Aiptasia I'm more than happy to have some or learn how to make them thrive. I really appreciate it!

I have some in the back chamber of my all in one. After my chaeto crashed, they took off, growing in constant 24 hr light since I’ve been too lazy to shut it off. You might try constant light to increase their growth if it won’t mess with your Berghias’ circadian rhythm.

Have also read that mechanically trying to remove them or injuring them can induce spawning, how much have you physically messed with the anemones?

(I could also try to scrape mine out as I have been meaning to do, and give them to you. But it’s only a dozen or so, doubt it would help much.)

@thrillreefer is correct, folks who know won't physically touch them as they spread like wildfire. You need the rocks they are on and avoid annoying them if possible. If I had any I'd happily give you the rock as well to further your studies. I'm sure the reefing community could benefit from the knowledge possibly gained here so I hope you can find specimens in quantity. I'd suggest contacting any of the coral retailers on the sponsor list (Upper right side of this page) and see if they might give you access to larger sumps with the numbers you might be looking for. I hope anyone suffering with this situation doesn't try and grab them with tweezers to remove one. You'll create a dozen from messing with it physically. Best of luck in your research!

I have some in the back chamber of my all in one. After my chaeto crashed, they took off, growing in constant 24 hr light since I’ve been too lazy to shut it off. You might try constant light to increase their growth if it won’t mess with your Berghias’ circadian rhythm.

Have also read that mechanically trying to remove them or injuring them can induce spawning, how much have you physically messed with the anemones?

(I could also try to scrape mine out as I have been meaning to do, and give them to you. But it’s only a dozen or so, doubt it would help much.)
Thank you for the answer. I’m not poking them too much honestly. I am letting them just do their things and avoiding messing around with them. I was a bit scared of maybe doing something wrong that made them die or something.

Now they are under the 12/12 light period. But I can put them over constant light to see if helps with the growth.

If you have around 12 big ones I'm happy to take out of your hands :)

Thank you so much

@thrillreefer is correct, folks who know won't physically touch them as they spread like wildfire. You need the rocks they are on and avoid annoying them if possible. If I had any I'd happily give you the rock as well to further your studies. I'm sure the reefing community could benefit from the knowledge possibly gained here so I hope you can find specimens in quantity. I'd suggest contacting any of the coral retailers on the sponsor list (Upper right side of this page) and see if they might give you access to larger sumps with the numbers you might be looking for. I hope anyone suffering with this situation doesn't try and grab them with tweezers to remove one. You'll create a dozen from messing with it physically. Best of luck in your research!
Thank you so much for your tip!! I will contact the coral retailers to check if they may have a large number of those! It would be very helpful

My Aiptasia refugium… the light is about 1” diameter for scale. Want me to collect them? Happy to help a fellow MIT scientist!

Attachments

• IMG_2119.jpeg
    IMG_2119.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 31
Back