The case for extra RO/DI water on hand...

besl

Non-member
I wasn't going to post this cause I figured who wants to hear my tale of woe... yet one more hobbyist with a story! Then I figured, if we weren't here to console each other what good is the BRS - therapeutic value has got to be worth at least $1 of my $10 membership fee - right?

While traveling last week to CA, I got a call from home telling me the status lights on my JBJ ATO unit were all lit up. This was a quick fix from 3,000 miles away as I knew it meant the float switch in the sump was stuck. Directing my wife and daughter on how to reach in and "wiggle" the switch free was another matter - but we got through that and slept well that nite. Next day in the afternoon I received a call from home telling me about the flood on the floor in the fish room. Navigating through this was not quite as easy as the previous day as you can imagine - spouses don't seem to find humor in this at all. Diagnosing this 3,000 miles away was not particularly easy until I reflected back on the previous day and surmised that they knocked the drip line from the Calcium Reactor out of the sump when they wiggled the float switch... eureka, problem was identified and fixed... 50 ml per minute drip rate is not much until you let it do this all day long.

Lessons learned #1: secure drip line so that it can't be knocked out from the sump.

Lesson learned # 2: Have plenty of extra RO/DI water on hand to fill the reservoir after the wife empties it through the reactor drip line or else your sump runs dry.

Lesson learned # 3: bring back something nice from your business trips to cover any problems you caused on the home front while you weren't there.

Lesson learned # 3: bring back something nice from your business trips to cover any problems you caused on the home front while you weren't there.

Strongly agree with this part, I have a similar incident. A nice gift always work.

All good points and hope all is well. I do need to ask for clarification - you learned this lesson by bringing something nice back or the hard way??

Lesson #4 secure everything with zip ties, duct tape, super glue or all 3.
My CA drip line is zip tied to not fall out of the tank.

I even zip tie the power cords on my tunze nanostreams so if the magnetic holders (or the POS clip setup) breaks away, no sand storms.

Since I travel too much, I will keep lesson 3 in mind :D

I hear you .... my favorite(?) voice message (just got off the plane in CA) ..."smoke is coming out of the basement and we are calling the fire department" ... luckily the next message was ... "we didn't call the fire department, but we had to unplug everything attached to the tank" [the overflow was stuck and the autotopoff was pumping water over the tank (via the sump) .. down a cord and on to a lamp ballast ].

... after a fruitless debug over the phone .. Gustavo saved the day by getting everything back up and running.

After that ... I broke down and labeled every power cord at the plug and every piece of equipment ... protein skimmer ... Calc Reactor ... so I could communicate over the phone versus ... "unplug the Protein Skimmer!" ...wife's response "What the f^$#$ is a protein skimmer?"

I 'd add to your guidelines ...

Have a BRS friend's number next to the tank and let them know you will be gone.

Train the kids... they like debugging stuff over the phone

In one other episode ... my son (7 years old at the time) started a siphon from the main tank to the sump when the overflow started to backup ... and did it without being told ... "Dad .. water was getting high in the tank".

I would have brought home the biggest sponge I could find, suitcase-sized. And then act taken aback and say "What -- you know I can't carry liquids on the plane and this wouldn't put my luggage over the weight limit. I figured next time this will really help soak up the spills. :D"

Thanks for all your support... I just knew I would get my membership fees worth or counceling on this site... whoever doesn't send in their membership fee is nuts... who else would understand the woes of a reefer except another reefer, and your inputs show it:

* I have a similar incident. A nice gift always work.
* All good points and hope all is well.
* secure everything with zip ties, duct tape, super glue
* I will keep lesson 3 in mind
* Have a BRS friend's number next to the tank and let them know you will be gone.
* I would have brought home the biggest sponge

When I mentioned this at work, all I got was, what the *$#^$( do you have a fish tank for? They just don't get it!

I was just thinking (which is usually where I first start to get myself in trouble)... to help me with Lesson # 3, I wonder if she would appreciate a custom made sump by Marc L? I know I would want one... perhaps I should give that a little more thought.

Back