The infamous Brown Diatom outbreak with hard green algae on the rocks...

Ecsurfer76

Non-member
Not sure what the hard green is. Guessing the rare green coraline or something else???

Attachments

• IMG_20130313_073739.jpg
    IMG_20130313_073739.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 265
I would say that's just normal green algae,not coralline.It happens as a tank matures.
The green coralline generally starts on the glass and in small areas/spots at first.
Also,the green seems to more apt to form in tanks with halide lighting.At least from my experience.
The diatom bloom is also normal in a maturing tank.
Just make sure you don't fuel it by using water with silicates in it.
It should go away on it's own in a couple weeks.

That what I was thinking. Params are finally good and stable. The green stuff wasn't sure tho cause of the hardness and bright color. Figure the brown will die off with my water changes. Plus I have the main lighting off right now. Just the 4' led strip across the front which is less then half the light versus my 6vho t5s....

My rocks did the same thing. When I had my AL Sol on u couldn't really see it but if I shut the lights off the rocks turned green just like in your pick. I just upgraded to a new tank but used new sand and my sand is starting to get the brown.

I had what looked like the exact same green stuff on my rocks that started in the second month of my tank. Spreadover all the rocks. Started to get thicker and harder as i tried to get rid of it by weekly scrubbing the rocks. Just as i was about to scrap the entire reef tank and go back to fresh water, i think i turned a corner. After almost 4 months of scrubbing 100lbs of rock it seems to have stopped. Its been 2 weeks now without taking the damn things out and killing my weekend cleaning. Another 2 weeks i may add something to my tank again.

Its kinda of aggravating I know. But I think that with the tank on its second month mine is actually still I post cycle so to say. Thinking with water changers and low light for awhile that should keep it under control. Guessing this stuff is like most algaes it feeds off of light. Would be nice if I could get this in my sump. My fuge/sump is absolutely spotless. It looks like there's nothing in it the water and tank are clean and clear. Hopefully the mangroves I get in today will help pull some of the excess nutrients out of the display that the algae is feesing on. Almost begging to think my water is to clean..lol except for the pod outbreak I have had for the past week now. Which is a good thing.

Even with an aged tank like mine,green algae will form on very new white rock at first.
But,once coralline takes over the algae losses out.
You could check your PO4 level and see where that is.Often the algae uses up the PO 4 so quickly it doesn't show on a titration test.
Only on a Hanna tester.

Its kinda of aggravating I know. But I think that with the tank on its second month mine is actually still I post cycle so to say. Thinking with water changers and low light for awhile that should keep it under control. Guessing this stuff is like most algaes it feeds off of light. Would be nice if I could get this in my sump. My fuge/sump is absolutely spotless. It looks like there's nothing in it the water and tank are clean and clear. Hopefully the mangroves I get in today will help pull some of the excess nutrients out of the display that the algae is feesing on. Almost begging to think my water is to clean..lol except for the pod outbreak I have had for the past week now. Which is a good thing.

If possible you should look into getting some chaeto in your fug.

Back