Thoughts on inkbird controller?

LaneBrain

BRS Member
Hi all,
I'm looking into buying an inkbird controller. Anyone have any thoughts on these (good or bad)?
I'm specifically looking at this one.

Thanks in advance

I haven't used this specific device, but I think that using some secondary controller for heat is really a good strategy. Another viable option is buying a used first generation apex or apex Jr. The benefit is that you can program another layer of complexity into your temp control. This really can save the day if your tank starts to over heat due to non-heater-related issues. For example, home ac failure. E.g. temp low, heater on. Temp high, heater off. Temp high slightly out of range, heater off, fan on. Temp high even more out of range, heater off, uv sterilizer off, fan on. Temp way out of range, heater off, uv off, fan on, send a message to your phone. Temp even hotter, heater off, uv off, send a message to your phone, have the fan on, cut power to your lights. Etc etc.

An ancient used apex can be had for like $75-100 from time to time and I've found them to be worth the wait.

I got one that had heating and cooling and replaced the metal probe with a rubber one. With an e grin jagger heater like said you above it’s a win win. I have a fan plugged in to chill my tank down when it gets to hot.

You'll be lucky to get 2 years out of it and bet it won't hold a consistent temp. Great idea but these things are not reliable. Look into the reviews and you'll see. Both mine failed just out of warranty. My old Apex hasn't missed a beat in 7 years. Take the advice ChrisV gave you....he's right.

You'll be lucky to get 2 years out of it and bet it won't hold a consistent temp. Great idea but these things are not reliable. Look into the reviews and you'll see. Both mine failed just out of warranty. My old Apex hasn't missed a beat in 7 years. Take the advice ChrisV gave you....he's right.
Had all mine almost 4 years, heard horror stories with apex as well.

Had all mine almost 4 years, heard horror stories with apex as well.

I certainly can't speak to anyone else's apex experience -- but I have been running the same apex (now called classic) with this temp handling implementation since...2010? It's been a real workhorse for me.

I picked up a well loved apex Jr (2012?) from another member here on the forum for $75, and it has all the functionality I need for temp handling on my zoa tank.

They are certainly not as fancy as the new ones, but they get the job done.

Reliable as the sunrise. Never owned anything but the classic and EB8 outlet strip. Got a junior that I run on a freshwater tank as well. Bulletproof as far as I'm concerned. Love the dashboard when using fusion on the laptop too!

Good in a bind but not reliable. I have a couple as backups but would never use as my main controller.

I just replaced my ancient one with a WiFi version. Holds temp, can activate cooling fans if too hot and heaters if too cold. Pretty simple. I’m a happy customer. I wish the app was better, but it’s functional

Last edited:
Back