transferring bryopsis question

Jason72

Non-member
Good morning - I'm setting up a 28 cube and have a question about rock from my 90gal reef. I have wicked bad bryopsis that I'm going to start treating with KentM today. If I successfully get rid of it in the 90, would it be safe to move rock from there to the cube?

Basically - I'm wondering if bryopsis is eradicated from that kind of treatment, or is just controlled and dormant in the rocks. Does anyone know?

I have too much rock in the 90 and it'd be a shame not to be able to reuse it. But, I'd hate to transfer it deep in the rock to a clean system.

Are you sure it's Bryop and not HA,Jason?
I got rid of some patches of Bryop by keeping the nutrients down and elevating Mg. to 1500-1650 ppm.
It takes a lot of supplement to get it that high if you don't have good quality salt mix to begin with.
I'm thinking once it's erradicated,it's gone for good.
If not you can always pump up the Mg. in the 28 gallon.

I'm pretty positive it is yeah. I have a gallon of the KentM I'm going to start using. I just don't know what the potential damage of elevated Mg levels long term in the tank...

I'm pretty positive it is yeah. I have a gallon of the KentM I'm going to start using. I just don't know what the potential damage of elevated Mg levels long term in the tank...

Well,I'm pretty sure you're familiar with HA.:p
Anyways,I've read and have done it myself that elevated MG. levels do very little to livestock.What critters are you worried about?

Just overall - and inverts...

I dunno. I'm making this up as I go along.

Well,I'm pretty sure you're familiar with HA.:p
Anyways,I've read and have done it myself that elevated MG. levels do very little to livestock.What critters are you worried about?

Raised my level of mag to 1600ppm for several months with Tech M to kill bryopsis over a year ago. My livestock saw no ill effects. It's expensive though. I now use a high quality salt, Red Sea Coral Pro, with elavated cal, mag and alk levels. I test bi-weekly and adjust my mag back up to 1300 every couple of months. I use SeaChem Advantage Magnesium to adjust. I only use SeaChem products for dosing. I found the cheap online products inferior. The powders are more cost effective and it's easy to make it yourself. I make 1/2 gallon jugs of 2 part with Reef Builder (alk) and Advantage Calcium. I put in 120 grams per 1/2 gallon.
May I suggest bringing it up slowly, only 100ppm per day. Here's a online calculator to help you out.
http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

Last edited:
Bobbo - thanks - did you find that it came back if you let the Mg fall lower than that level? That's what I'm wondering about....

And Thanks willray - I'll keep that in mind if I need to try something before a total tank break-down!

Most people don't seem to have issues with elevated mg. It does seem to eradicate it IME. The only potential issue is that it seem to be somewhat specific to TechM, and does not always work with other mg supplements, suggesting the actual component involved may be some impurity rather than mg. However, again it doesn't seem to cause any obvious issues. I guess I shouldn't say that, mg is a muscle relaxant and can effect some snails for example. Doesn't kill them, just makes them, for lack of a better word, "drunk". A while back I accidently overdosed mg and didn't realize it right away. I figured it out when my turbos started falling off the glass LOL.

I guess I shouldn't say that, mg is a muscle relaxant and can effect some snails for example. Doesn't kill them, just makes them, for lack of a better word, "drunk". A while back I accidently overdosed mg and didn't realize it right away. I figured it out when my turbos started falling off the glass LOL.

Drunk snails.... kind of like sailors on leave? :)

Back