True Union Check Valves, Yes or No

Check Valves Yes or No

• I have used them and they work great no leaks at all.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I have used them and they have some leaks, but still worth it.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have used them and had no luck at all.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I have no first hand experience but still wanted to vote.

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

maxfischer

Instigator
Who is using check valves on their returns because they have them drilled under the overflow? I do have room to run the returns over the back of the tank, just wondering if I should take the easy way out or drill the tank for the returns also.

I would like to hear from people who have used them or still do, looking for first hand experiences only, thanks.

I've never set up anything that would need them. (and I don't plan to)

One thing about True Union Check Valves is you get the union so when you need to take any of the plumbing apart you can and at the same time you have a check valve in the same assembly that you can remove and clean in case the valve is coated with a calcium deposit that would allow any water to flow past.

Good to see there's some discussion that's plumbing related that is not posted much at all. I've found plumbing to be a valuable hardware part of the hobby as well as the electrical part of it for our lighting can be also.

Last edited:
True, if you are ever going to use a check valve, It must be reasonably easy to remove and clean.

They will likely slow the backflow, but don't count on them to stop a flood, I never use them, IMO next to useless.

Jim

One thing about True Union Check Valves is you get the union so when you need to take any of the plumbing apart you can and at the same time you have a check valve in the same assembly that you can remove and clean in case the valve is coated with a calcium deposit that would allow any water to flow past.

Good to see there's some discussion that's plumbing related that is not posted much at all. I've found plumbing to be a valuable hardware part of the hobby as well as the electrical part of it for our lighting can be also.

I was a pipefitter for years, i get the function, just have never used them on a tank

I have one on my setup. Its not to stop the a flood as the sump can handle all the water that drains out. With my sump in the basement it would push lots of air up into the display tank if the pump was turned off for any amount of time. I say there only use it for that.

I use one and would say don't depend on it to keep water levels in your sump, you need to base that off your return and overflow heights. They eventually back flow as they get dirty. I am not sure once I rearrange my sump configuration I will continue to use one.

i'm with Jim on this one... don't really see a use for them. If plumbing is set up correctly with anti siphon holes than you shouldn't have any issues...

doesn't make sense to me to set up a system depending on check valves because fact of the matter is check valves fail all the time... gravity doesn't ;)

Back