Tunze Nano Help

Aquadan88

Aquatic Idiot
Hey, I just took my Tunze DOC 9002 Nano skimmer out of the box and set it up. I'm having problems getting the pump to run correctly. It runs great out of the skimmer housing, and you can hear it run inside the skimmer housing, but there's no bubble production.

I'm wondering what's going on. I'm getting quite frusterated.

Wondering if anyone has pics or vids of theirs working (for a comparison)?

Anyone have any ideas?

Rule #1 of Aquarium Maintenance:
If its not working, take it apart. :D

Already did. I'm thinking that the hose might be too long, I'm thinking about cutting it.

I think I've got it going pretty well. I had to blow into the hose to get it started, then reassembled the thing while running.

During the first few days that it's operational, is it normal for the water level to be lower than the "recommended" setting and regulate itself after a few days (with some fine adjustments), or should it be over the recommended setting, and have to tune it back a bit?

Right now, i don't have the air flow regulated at all, and the water level is about 2" lower than the recommended setting. Is this normal?

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Tunze (to ask a few questions about surrounding water levels), and asked them about my problem. They said that they did have a few ship out with the hole for the the venturi in the wrong place, so they would not suck air. He said he'd ship me out a new one first thing tomorrow morning.

Don't those come with a skimmer?

yes a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY
BAD ONE

lol, from what I just saw, Red Sea thinks that the skimmer is "high powered professional grade".

lol, from what I just saw, Red Sea thinks that the skimmer is "high powered professional grade".

yea.......... they sent me a prototype fix for the skimmer..... it sucks...... the old one works better. and my skimmer is modded. cut ~1" off the bottom so the water level is higher. and i think i might cut more...... but mine is working better than my dads.

Well, from what it looks like, the Red Sea Max is a freakin nice tank. I'd love to get my hands on one if I had the $$ to dish out for it.

Well, from what it looks like, the Red Sea Max is a freakin nice tank. I'd love to get my hands on one if I had the $$ to dish out for it.

yea. its a great tank. except i would like better lighting. and a better skimmer. but uf you realy want one. get it used. thats what i did. got mine for 450. and it came with rock and all

Just got the part for my Tunze skimmer in. Shipping was quite fast. Everything's working great! A+ for Tunze USA!

Back