Tunze Wavebox - anyone using one?

Paula

I'm still around . ..
Any recommendations? Since my tank is torn apart, this would be the time to intall one . ..
Does anyone have one? Like it? Does it make the fish sea sick?
TIA - Paula

Chuck - how much does the water level fluctuate? I have a 60x24x24 tank ..
How do you have yours mounted? On one end? in the center of the end? of off to one side of the end? I'm just trying to picture how it would work . ..
Is is a constant motion or can it be "turned down" at night? The literature is a little sketchy .. .
Thanks for any advice.

i got a nice fathers day surprise my wife got me a wave box :D

in a 72"X24"X18" i get about an 1 1/2"- 2" wave but thats a little much so i turn down the strenth of the pump to a 1" wave. but you can get a double wave in a 6 foot tank about 2-7/8" waves.
double wave crests in the middle and troughs(spelling) on ends barely noticible
single 1 1/2" wave you can see light on the ends as it rocks back and forth no change in height in the middle

it lowers the tank water level and raises sump level. the higher the wave the more water that goes to the sump. but the higher the wave the closer you get to the top of the trim i get to the silicone at my biggest wave.

it has a photo cell and shuts off at night if you wish, or you can cycle it with a mutlicontroller

it very easy to setup, you find the frequency at 100% pump power by turning the knob on wave controller, you know when you hit your optimum frequency its very obvious. then you can adjust the wave height by turning down the pump power on the pump driver the blue box the pump is plugged into.

Durso standpipes are a must. you will see detritus you never knew you had.

HTH

Tunze Wavebox

Hi Paula!

Hope you are doing well! My WB is mounted on the right side towards the back of the tank. Tunze claims that it does not need to be in the middle of the side of the tank, and they are correct, since the box operates on a water displacement principle and precise placement is not required. However, I would mount the bos such that the output is unobstructed(4-6 inches clear of rock or other obstruction).

The fundamental wave is around 1" high so you need at least an inch of room above your water level. I lowered my normal water level a bit to accomodate this. However, this wave height is adjustable by "off-tuning" the wave frequency from the resonant setting (once you find it). The WB comes with a photo-diode detector that automatically shuts the unit off at night. My anemones and goniopora love the water motion. Also, you can slave the WB off of the Tunze Stream 4095 controller so that it only operates in the "ON" mode when the corresponding controller channel is ON. I do not use this mode , but instead run the WB independently of the Streams.

Let me know if u have any additional questions. I'd be glad to answer any more questions you may have. :)

Paula said:
Chuck - how much does the water level fluctuate? I have a 60x24x24 tank ..
How do you have yours mounted? On one end? in the center of the end? of off to one side of the end? I'm just trying to picture how it would work . ..
Is is a constant motion or can it be "turned down" at night? The literature is a little sketchy .. .
Thanks for any advice.

one note on using the wave box with the multi controller you need to change the jumper settings inside the wavebox controller. there are three seperate settings for the jumpers

Fundamental Resonant Frequency

The resonant frequency in my tank has a period of 1 second or a frequency of 1 Hz (1 Hz = 1 cycle per second). This means the wave goes to the left on the first half cycle (0 to .5 seconds) and then to the right during the second half cycle (.5 to 1 second). I can also get a 2 x frequency or "double frequency wave" at 2 Hz. But the 2 Hz wave seems too hectic as far as the visual aspect so I chose to set my frequency at 1 Hz.

Armando said:
Chuck/Greg, how many seconds the WB takes to switch direction, on your tanks?

Thanks so much for the feedback ... I might just try one. Since I am redoing the aquascaping I can keep the Wavebox placement in mind.
Paula

Back