unable to keep sps.

I will get some of those and try them... I'm assuming any of the fish stores will have them or do I have to go some place specific?

I don't just phosguard... But why do you ask someone had suggested I try gfo and I was considering it

I don't just phosguard... But why do you ask someone had suggested I try gfo and I was considering it

I started using GFO with my tank while I had some sps in there. Next thing I know they are browned out and algae was eating away at it because of the hit the GFO put on it.

I started using GFO with my tank while I had some sps in there. Next thing I know they are browned out and algae was eating away at it because of the hit the GFO put on it.

i second that possibility, i lost 2 caps while running GFO, didnt really think all that much about it at the time cant be sure if it was a coincidence but certainly sounds plausible based on my experience

I don't recall the specifics, but I had a situation yrs ago where I had been using GFO probably in excess of what I should have been and it either directly or indirectly caused a drop in alk, which then affected some of my corals. Again, I don't recall the details, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't an isolated incident or unheard of effect. GFO by itself certainly isn't a bad thing, but when used in excess there may be some issues.

I highly doubt that 7 month of no maintenance resulted in no change in the water chemistry. There's a lot that we don't and can't test for in our tank water.
It's very hard to pin point the problem but I will say this though. My difficulty in keeping SPS went away when I started to religiously do weekly water changes. 10-15% is all I do a week. I use IO salt than is less than 40$ for a 200gallon box.
Run carbon 24/7 and replace it monthly to lessen the chemical warfare. GFO can kill if you're not careful but if you use it in small amount and replace them regularly, it can keep your phosphate to a very low level.
Again, things don't happen overnight. Usually, when things like this happen and you don't know what it is, it's most likely an accumulated issue and you will be able to fix one thing and see result the next day.

I found those poly filters and will pick them up on the way home. See what those show.

Yes I know other non measurables will change due to depletion I was referring to the chemistry we test for. But since starting this project especially doing the water changes to get rid of the algae and water changes being done weekly since the water in the tank has been completely swapped since the period of neglect.my water changes over the last month are about 10 percent of the total volumn. I dont run gfo but some one had mentioned I should and when he said dont I was seeing why he said dont. I do run carbon and replace it often sometimes less than every month. that is the problem i am having though it wasnt over night as a matter of fact if I hadnt put sps in I would never see this issue so Iam trying and checking everything at this point.

I highly doubt that 7 month of no maintenance resulted in no change in the water chemistry. There's a lot that we don't and can't test for in our tank water.
It's very hard to pin point the problem but I will say this though. My difficulty in keeping SPS went away when I started to religiously do weekly water changes. 10-15% is all I do a week. I use IO salt than is less than 40$ for a 200gallon box.
Run carbon 24/7 and replace it monthly to lessen the chemical warfare. GFO can kill if you're not careful but if you use it in small amount and replace them regularly, it can keep your phosphate to a very low level.
Again, things don't happen overnight. Usually, when things like this happen and you don't know what it is, it's most likely an accumulated issue and you will be able to fix one thing and see result the next day.

So you run IO as your salt and keep SPS ok? What are you doing for the calc and alk?

here's another theory , you say its the newer corals you are adding that are dying off . with RTN next time you dd something make sure you know what the system you take them from is running at . the sudden change of params can def cause that

The tank is in cycle with the reading you have. Plus you have softies which will always be in chemical warfare with SPS.

I would step up maintenance and get your parameters in check and change out the Carbon on a regular basis. choose a range for your tank to run the Trifactor ALK, CA and MG these should all be relative to one another. if t DKH8 CA400 and MG 1350 > DKH 9, CA 425 Mg 1400 > DKH 10, CA 450 MG 1450 or there abouts. When you bounce Alk from & 7.7 to over 10 your SPS can go up in smoke if that is not the conditions the tank is usually in. Maintaining your parameters is key with SPS, it is not like keeping Softies and LPS where you can swing things and they won't notice

I have bought the frags from 4 different locations 2 of which have tested my water and are a very close match for parameters. this isnt a cycle issue. My parameters have been rock solid for almost 5 weeks now since making these adjustments. All of the issues with corals dying have occurred after the parameters were set so there is no fluctuation. My changing of the chemistry was made before introducing new coral

I think a couple picture of your tank and set up would help to spot any trouble area(ie, metal hose clamp, rust, etc)

just got thru reading your thread what a great tank. Was sad to see you are breaking it down. If you are planning to sell the gigantea's please let me know those are incredible! I will also take the stuff you have growing together as a sign that what I am trying to do can be done and continue searching for what is wrong in my tank. Do you run carbon I didnt see it any where though I may have missed it..and if not do you run something else to take out toxins?

I will take some tonite all my pictures are old. i will say I had major failures during my clean up process a few weeks back and had to replace the pumps and fans. My skimmer pump died, my calcium pump died, My reactor pump died all with in a week of removing and cleaning wasnt happy

Yes they are 4 stage rodi systems on top off and water change. They both have carbon filters.

How old are the carbon filters? Depending on your town water, they need to be changed routinely or chlorine and chloramine gets through. Polyfilters are a very good idea and I used them after I discovered lead in my water. You might want to consider a Triton water test to see if you have heavy metal contamination. That's how I found the lead.

They are a few weeks old in the rodi. my carbon in the tank was replaced 1 week ago. I live in Lowell so there is a chance that could be an issue I am heading to pets plus right now to get the poly filters and let you know what they show!

My difficulty in keeping SPS went away when I started to religiously do weekly water changes. 10-15% is all I do a week. I use IO salt than is less than 40$ for a 200gallon box.
Run carbon 24/7 and replace it monthly to lessen the chemical warfare..

Do you run carbon I didnt see it any where though I may have missed it..and if not do you run something else to take out toxins?

I just moved out of Lowell a little over a year ago. When I was there, I ran a 4 stage RODI without any problem. I think Lowell water is respectably clean.

IMG_0656.JPGIMG_0657.JPGIMG_0655.JPGIMG_0654.JPG

Back