unable to keep sps.

Natural seawater at 35 ppt salinity typically has around 2.5 mEq/L alkalinity (7 dKH) and a calcium level of 410 ppm, but you can aim for around 3 mEq/L alkalinity (8.4 dKH) and 420 ppm calcium for a little bit faster coral growth.
studies showed that higher than normal Calcium and Alk do not benefit Acropora. Some birdsnest do show faster growth.

there is just no problem to use calcium reactor to raise Cal and Alk, where did you find the information? If you don't believe me, go ask Randy.

Also, using Kalk along with Calcium reactor is a STANDARD method that has been around for long time.

2014 study of Calcium, Alk and pH effect on coral calcification:

Attachments

• calandphandalk.jpg
    calandphandalk.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 227
Alk is in meg/L unit.
You can see when Alk pass 3.5 meg/L (9.8 dKH), average calcification rate of stony coral drops significantly.

maybe someone can explain to him how to lower alk using water changes . as most reef salts mix up at around 10 when mixed to a specific gravity of 1.025 . so there hows that for ya lol

Well I am headed to Syracuse to see my son play tomorrow so I will be back Sunday . I should have a pretty good idea where the caps are by Sunday night. I will let you all know when I get back.

maybe someone can explain to him how to lower alk using water changes . as most reef salts mix up at around 10 when mixed to a specific gravity of 1.025 . so there hows that for ya lol

You can always shut off the Co2 to the Ca reactor and then let the Ca and alk drop naturally.

Have a good trip, we'll be here when you get back.

there is just no problem to use calcium reactor to raise Cal and Alk, where did you find the information? If you don't believe me, go ask Randy.
Dong you are missing my point here. I never said you can't I said it is bad advice to give someone who can;t maintain their parameters to begin with. you are talking way over his head and confusing the whole issue which the issue is actually very simple.

K my head hurts now
my point exactly

Ok returned from the trip and found the caps still look good. This is surprising as this is the longest any have even survived let alone looked good. i will continue on with this experiment for a bit and see how this go maintaining the other parameters. I am still holding my breath everytime i enter the room waiting to find them dead. Perhaps while I am still doing this test if anyone can think of why (if they die in the long run)that having the lights down low would prolong life? Is there a chemical reaction... say alk to high but having lights low reduces that effect somehow. this would give me an idea of where to head next if it doesnt work out...also to note the soft stuff in the tank is now less than thrilled with reduced lighting.

Due to heat mostly electric consumption secondly halides are not an option. Had them before and won't go back. If that is the end result I will give up the sps dream and go back to soft stuff. But I have seen plenty of people with great growth under leds so I'm not ready to place the blame there yet.

You are right, don't quickly blame the AI hydra. I have 12 of them at full blast and all sort of coral (mostly SPS) under them. All have great growth and great color. May be just the lack of water change killed the first batch of SPS you have.
Leather coral can release toxin into water for competition of living space. The toxin concentration can be very high without water change for months.

Due to heat mostly electric consumption secondly halides are not an option. Had them before and won't go back. If that is the end result I will give up the sps dream and go back to soft stuff. But I have seen plenty of people with great growth under leds so I'm not ready to place the blame there yet.

You set it at one setting and you work out the rest.

Maybe you didn't see the underlying advice in my previous post.

You are right, don't quickly blame the AI hydra. I have 12 of them at full blast and all sort of coral (mostly SPS) under them. All have great growth and great color. May be just the lack of water change killed the first batch of SPS you have.
Leather coral can release toxin into water for competition of living space. The toxin concentration can be very high without water change for months.
if this batch of caps doesnt survive and I am changing my alk next... given all my other parameters being the same what would you suggest I change my ph and alk to?

Back