Urgent-Need Fish Acclimation Help!!

Pat H.

(Previously PHreef)
BRS Member
I just brought home a Royal Gramma from a local shop to find the bag water at a SG of 1.0165. I keep my tank around 1.026. (test done with a calibrated refractometer) If I change 6 oz of water out of the bag every 15 minutes it will take probably 3 to 4 hours to acclimate this fish.

Is this too long to keep it in the bag? Should I speed up the process?

I did call the shop to let them know and they were very surprised and said they would check into it immediately.

Any help appreciated.

What is the ph in the bag compared to your tank? I think large swings in ph are more of a concern when acclimating fish. I would not acclimate him for 5-6 hours - IMO it's too stressful on the fish. I would add 6 oz every 5 minutes - I use a small dixie cup when acclimating. All of the instructions from on-line vendors say to add 1/2 cup every 4-5 minutes. This will bring the acclimation time way down. It works for me.

Thanks for the reply!

I haven't checked the pH...I will.

I switched to changing 8 oz every 10 minutes and I'm up to 1.020 now. I think it will be quicker than I antisipated.

The fish looks fine so far.

Thanks

i think you should just grab a length of airline tubing. put one end in your tank tie a knot in the other end and drip your waterinto the water the fish is in! thats how i do it. it will slowly raise the PH and SG to the same as your tank, keep removing out water a few oz at a time. dont worry about the fish if your changing out the water it will be fine. but the drip acclimation i describe here has got to be the best way to do it.

salinity

Don't take that long to acclimate. Its just like a freshwater bath. In and out as long as the pH is good then you shouldn't have a major problem. Some LFS keep the salinity low to prevent disease, much like running low dosages of copper in their tanks.

I also use the airline method, but I have a U-shaped piece of rigid tubing to make it easier to hang off the tank. You can adjust the knot to control how much drips into the acclimation bucket.

I use the airline tubing method as well - if I don't have too many bags to acclimate. ;) Both methods work for me. The key is don't leave them in the bag TOO long. Check the ph - when they are equal - release them into the tank.

Hi Patrick -
I think it is common practice for fish stores to keep their fishtanks at that salinity. I believe it is to help with parasites - like ich.

paula your right. However id say .016 for SG had to have been some sort of mistake made buy the staff of that particular LFS when topping off their system. At my LFS we keep the salinity around 21-23 to prevent oubreaks of ich as we head towards fall, all summer long they have been at 25. But with the threat of a rapid temp drop we decided to drop our salinity down.

Thanks everyone!

I'm just about done acclimating. The pH in the bag was about 8.1. My tank is at 8.2. Not sure how big a difference that makes.

I've never tried the drip acclimation technic, but I think next time I will. I like to keep the bag hanging in the tank for temp adjustment. Do you put the fish (or invert) in a bucket on the floor then siphon slowly down to it?

Paula, I asked the shop employee about keeping the SG low(I thought because of parisites) he said it aids in kidney function. I've never heard of that. Why would an animal that has evolved over millions of years in full strength seawater do better in diluted seawater? Makes no sense to me, but I could be wrong :rolleyes:

PHreef said:
I've never tried the drip acclimation technic, but I think next time I will. I like to keep the bag hanging in the tank for temp adjustment. Do you put the fish (or invert) in a bucket on the floor then siphon slowly down to it?

yes thats exactly how its done, dont worry bout the temp your dripping in warm water anyhow..also

my boss whos been in the hobby for 35 years just nearly died laughing at that kidney function excuse that LFS gave you.

hope your fish is doing well!

Last edited:
PHreef said:
I asked the shop employee about keeping the SG low(I thought because of parisites) he said it aids in kidney function. I've never heard of that. Why would an animal that has evolved over millions of years in full strength seawater do better in diluted seawater? Makes no sense to me, but I could be wrong :rolleyes:

Lower salinity is easier on the fish because it doesn't have to spend as much energy excreting salt... it aids in regulating the osmotic pressure, that's what the LFS guy might be referring to. That's one of the reasons why some people keep their fish-only tanks at a low salinity.

Anyway, it's sudden salinity changes that cause stress, not long-term exposure to slightly off salinity.

Nuno

Thanks again everyone! And thanks for all the assorted info.

The fish is in (hiding now) and seems to be fine. It does seem like a long way to go, from 1.0165 up to 1.026. I did it in about 2 3/4 hours. Next time I'll definately use the drip method.

Back