Used Tank Cleaning?

mchartier

Non-member
I bought a tank off another member that was leaving the hobby, and I am finally getting it ready to be setup. I have been cleaning it out with vinegar. I am having a problem getting the rest of the coraline off the overflow, would it be okay to leave some on there?

Also I was thinking of running diluted vinegar through the system for a day or two, would that be ok?

I was thinking I have the 70 Gal stock tank for the sump, 30Gal fuge and the 90 Gal tank so I was gonnal put in about 1 Gal of vinegar to the water that and run the system for a day or two then start flushing out the system with freshwater, a few times, of the next couple of days.

Yes it is just the overflow. I scraped the tank down to get the little bit that was left off and have been washing it down with vinegar.

Wouldn't worry about it on the overflow... I've stuck old powerheads back in the tank when I've been in a pinch that have had coraline still on them and it was fine...

Leave it.
I left it on my overflow in my 90 and it just stays white for a while.
Eventually coralline will overgrow it.

Matt-

I don't know who you bought that tank from, but that guy is a loser for not doing a better job of cleaning it for you....

Oh wait- that's me! :)

Just checking on your progress.... I figured you'd have fish in it by now!

Look forward to seeing more updates....

-Danny

Danny you did a great job cleaning it.

I am working on plumbing and electrical working now. I did not want to set it up with the sump in the stand and then have to redo things when I had the basement sump.

I finished cleaning and removing the baffles on the sump I got from you and re-siliconed (little overzealous with the razor blade), to use as a fuge only.

Back