Using b-ionic 2 part ca/alk questions.

PasstheTorch

BRS Member
How well does the product work? I have already researched how much to dose of both when I figure out my usage of my tank. Is it easy/ safe to use?

On another note... I have API test kits and I trust it with the calcium but not so much with the alk. What do you guys use, and do you find the API to be inaccurate?

Thanks,
Jeff

I use b-ionic, I think it's a good product. I also use the b-ionic Magnesium. It's easy and safe to use as long as you follow the directions. The thing is once your alk. is set, it seems I don't use it as much as the calcium and magnesium. As far as text kits, I use and like Salifert.

B-ionic is too expensive. Don't trust bulk cal/alk from Bulk Reef Supply or others. I use SeaChem Advantage Calcium with magnesium and Reef Builder (alk). I weigh out 150 grams of each on a digital diet scale and mix them up with RODI water in these easy dispense Bettix bottles. I get probably 10x more than B-ionic for the same cost and SeaChem quality. Remove the small cap sqeeze to measure and pour. There's measure marks on the opposite side of the dispense chamber (not shown on pic). Simple!

Attachments

• big-blue-dispensing.jpg
    big-blue-dispensing.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
^^^

Oh you mean the easy dispense Bettix bottles from the untrustworthy BRS?:p
There's nothing wrong with BRS and there products.
I personally do the Randy's two part but buy my kalk from BRS.

^^^

Oh you mean the easy dispense Bettix bottles from the untrustworthy BRS?:p
There's nothing wrong with BRS and there products.
I personally do the Randy's two part but buy my kalk from BRS.

I never said they were untrustworthy. I actually buy RODI filters and bulk carbon from them. I choose not to buy bulk calcium or alk from anyone, especially from Home Depot (Dow Flake). Every so often we hear about problems with bulk calcium and alk because the quality control is lacking and the product is actually intended for another use like driveway ice melter. I trust the quality of SeaChem pruducts and have used them for over ten years with zero issues. Again, I never said they were untrustworthy.

Well after debating it for a while, I decided that for right now my calcium and alk demands are not that high because I don't have full colonies so I went easy. I didn't end up going with b-ionic but a seachem product called aquavitro. Easy dosing and so far I am very happy with it. I know the day will come when I need to use two part for its coat effectiveness but for now this is much eaiser.

When I had my 90 setup I was dosing ESV B-Ionic, I would buy the 5 gallon buckets for about $80 and would last me about a year on a SPS dominate tank, so I dont think that it is that more expensive. I started off with the BRS 2 part and switched over and had better results. Just my 2 cents

I use the ESV 2part on a doser and have good results. It has never failed me or made consider switching. Maybe If I had a big system like >180g I would look into alternatives but like mchartier said, buy in bulk and it keeps the cost down. Honestly if I had a large system I would prolly look more into a calc reactor with kalk topoff system.

Back