UV new tank?

charbel1011

BRS Member
My tank 200G 3 months old. And i was running my 57w UV at 24/7 because i didnt know. At 520gph. Now after doing a bit more research people are saying i shouldnt even have it on not even 12 hours at night. What should i do here?

Run the tank without all the gadgets and let it establish it's course. Turn on all the bells and whistles down the road like 9-12 months away would be my suggestion. Skip the UV, skip the fleece roller, skip it all, let it go through it's ugly stage and enjoy in a year, lol.

I run no mechanical filtration what so ever, had socks but eliminated them. I run a skimmer and UV but use UV for ich management ie low flow through it.

Run the tank without all the gadgets and let it establish it's course. Turn on all the bells and whistles down the road like 9-12 months away would be my suggestion. Skip the UV, skip the fleece roller, skip it all, let it go through it's ugly stage and enjoy in a year, lol.

I run no mechanical filtration what so ever, had socks but eliminated them. I run a skimmer and UV but use UV for ich management ie low flow through it.
Agree with this 100%. I also run no mechanical. I found when I used filter socks and was cleaning them every week was a pain in the behind. I stopped using them and noticed no difference.

Your tank is new let it do its thing

Yup, keep it to the basic, and add on extras as needed / if needed. My UV unit has been collecting dust in the garage for 20+ years (or did I finally throw it away last spring?… ). Good for water clarity though. :)

Back