UV question

Pjy95

BRS Member
Hey everyone , just installed a UV and man what a difference it’s already made in the 2 weeks it’s been running , just curious how everyone that runs them has them plumbed in? Getting ready to actually plumb my sump instead of having hose everywhere and just looking for ideas. Mainly looking for ideas on the pump end where my sicce would go into the sterilizer

Ideally you want them pulling and return at different ends of the tank…… but most times that’s an ugly look (albeit most effective). Mine is in my sump and fed by a manifold so I can control the flow. It pulls pre skimmer and dumps in return so that I’m UV-ing fresh to sump water and then the clean water “should” be going back to the display via the return.

I ran mine with a small 500GPH DC pump. The pump's pick up is my skimmer chamber that's after the roller, and I added a second return to the display with a second bulkhead. My thought was if my primary return pump failed, I'll still have the flow through UV for circulation. I'm usually away during the week for work and always try to have some redundancy designed in. It's also pretty neat being able to pull my return pump for cleaning or whatever and still have flow while it's out of the sump.

Ideally you want them pulling and return at different ends of the tank…… but most times that’s an ugly look (albeit most effective). Mine is in my sump and fed by a manifold so I can control the flow. It pulls pre skimmer and dumps in return so that I’m UV-ing fresh to sump water and then the clean water “should” be going back to the display via the return.
This is good to know , right now mine is running right off the supply after the skimmer , through the uv, into the display and then coming back down to sump not sure how effective it really is but it’s cleared my Dino’s so I’m assuming it’s working somewhat lol

I ran mine with a small 500GPH DC pump. The pump's pick up is my skimmer chamber that's after the roller, and I added a second return to the display with a second bulkhead. My thought was if my primary return pump failed, I'll still have the flow through UV for circulation. I'm usually away during the week for work and always try to have some redundancy designed in. It's also pretty neat being able to pull my return pump for cleaning or whatever and still have flow while it's out of the sump.
Really leaning towards a second pump myself for a just in case scenario. Do you have any pics of how you had it setup ?

Also any pictures of the plumbing you have going ?

I have mine plumbed into my return line. The return pump pumps water back to the tank via two return bulkheads. One is just a straight return and the other goes to the UV and then to the return bulkhead in the tank. I have a ball valve before the UV to dial flow.

I have mine plumbed into my return line. The return pump pumps water back to the tank via two return bulkheads. One is just a straight return and the other goes to the UV and then to the return bulkhead in the tank. I have a ball valve before the UV to dial flow.
This is probably similar to how id like to plumb mine in hopefully sooner rather than later. Is yours all hard plumbed or did you break it up with hose to limit noise?

It is broken up with a hose but not to limit noise. Just to make it easier if I ever have to remove it. And also to avoid using a ton of hard plumbing fittings.

You can see it in the bottom left of this pic

Attachments

• IMG_6528.jpeg
    IMG_6528.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 73
It is broken up with a hose but not to limit noise. Just to make it easier if I ever have to remove it. And also to avoid using a ton of hard plumbing fittings.

You can see it in the bottom left of this pic
Ok yup that makes sense, really digging that plumbing set up simple and clean

Mine is setup just like this, I put a flow meter inline to dial it in but don’t waste your money because it just stopped working one day. I cleaned it for it to work for like 10 minutes and stop working again.

My tank is crystal clear, and very very like algae.

Back