Vacation time? How do u automate ur Tank? Just a scary thought all together! (o;

I have a auto top off for evaporation so it's set and forget. I highly recommend the Avast air driven ATO. It uses a micro switch and air pressure design that's fool proof. Same system they use on foot pedal activated, wet environment equipment with high voltage such as 208 volt meat grinders. I have hundreds of meat grinders in the field and I may get a couple calls a year because they tore the tubing out of the machine or foot pedal when cleaning the meat room. Other than that it works for year and years.
I set up an Eheim auto feeder to feed the fish. I have a friend who takes care of the cats dose the tank a couple times a week. I put liquid calc & alk in 20oz soda bottles labeled for the two days I wish them to dose. I go to a twice weekly dosing regiment instead of everyday. I have a local aquarium service company "on call" incase there's a problem and leave their # with my friend. I go on vacation the third week of June every year on my baseball and roller coaster tour. This year was Knoebol's Park, Hershey Park and the Phillies, last year was Canada's Wonderland and the Blue Jays. I have never had a problem. I always prepped the tank well the month before I leave, running "ALL" pumps in vinegar baths, maintaining all equipment and crossing my fingers.

Last edited:
Thanks bro. I have to figure this out soon. I am going away again in August for 5 days. I want to have this reservoir thing and my IP camera figured out by then... :p

Higor

I have a auto top off for evaporation so it's set and forget. I set up an Eheim auto feeder to feed the fish. I have a friend who takes care of the cats dose the tank a couple times a week. I put liquid calc & alk in 20oz soda bottles labeled for the two days I wish them to dose. I go to a twice weekly dosing regiment instead of everyday. I have a local aquarium service company "on call" incase there's a problem and leave their # with my friend. I go on vacation the third week of June every year on my baseball and roller coaster tour. This year was Knoebol's Park, Hershey Park and the Phillies, last year was Canada's Wonderland and the Blue Jays. I have never had a problem. I always prepped the tank well the month before I leave, running "ALL" pumps in vinegar baths, maintaining all equipment and crossing my fingers.

Sounds like u have a good system going on there Bob :). I like the vinegar bath procedure. I had to clean my ATO floats 2 weeks before I left for vacation...but only because the main one stuck (found a bunch of those hard stringy lines and dots, almost like barnacles in it!) and dumped almost 7G of Kalk water into the main tank before the second float in the sumnp shut it off! :(Thank God it wasn't anymore... I never really thought of anything besides snails cloaging the floats, so from now on it's regular vinegar baths on the floats for sure! :p)

Higor

Sounds like u have a good system going on there Bob :). I like the vinegar bath procedure. I had to clean my ATO floats 2 weeks before I left for vacation...but only because the main one stuck (found a bunch of those hard stringy lines and dots, almost like barnacles in it!) and dumped almost 7G of Kalk water into the main tank before the second float in the sumnp shut it off! :(Thank God it wasn't anymore... I never really thought of anything besides snails cloaging the floats, so from now on it's regular vinegar baths on the floats for sure! :p)

Higor

I would never use float switches again. Knowing how float switches stick in coffee machines and ATOs it's a no brainer. I don't even like the Tunze ATO. Knowing what I know about pressure activated devices because of my work I'd trust Avast's ATO for 5+ years before ever replacing the tubing. The tubing isn't even in the salt water, only the plastic pressure tube touches the water. The only thing that activates the switch is air pressure.

This is what I have:
http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/Top-off-Kit

Last edited:
I leave town for 3-4days on a monthly basis and vacation 2-3weeks long every year. Having a sophisticated controller set up with remote access makes all the difference.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back