Very little skim gunk

WildBill

WildBill
Last 2 weeks or so skimmer has been pulling very little, no changes have been made til today. Aqua C Remora HOB w/maxi1200 and preskimmer box. 36G tank w/ HOB fuge. All paramaters of water are good. I can only think that I have been feeding a bit less. I even put a new maxi1200 on it today, still hardly any pull of anything at all. Any ideas why? All in tank are healthy and I am actually a bit overstocked.

WildBill

You want to make sure the jet is clean with good flow. If you hold a flashlight on one side and look through the other you can see if you are getting a lot of bubbles in the skimmer.

You may already know this but....

I have the Remora Pro and you have to clean the injector. I assume the Remora is the same since it is just a smaller version. If you follow the pump intake into the box you will see a nylon screw. Open this and clean it with a small filter brush. I have found that this helps.

-nick

I agree, I had the same problem. Take out the screw and use that brush to clean I think they need it like every couple of weeks or skimming just stops. Hopefully it will fix the problem.

If cleaning the venturi doesnt help i would soak the whole in thing in vinegar sometime even if a skimmer is new this is needed depending on what is on the skimmer from manufacturing

I usually clean the injector once a month or so. I do hold a light to it, and it is making bubbles. I clean the collection cup often. Lately the tower to the inside of the cup gets coated with a very fine light brown coating, whereas in the past it was darker. Maybe the water is just good and clean, though I doubt. Like I said I have eased up on the amount I feed. I'll clean the injector today and see if that helps.

Thanks for the input.

WildBill

And do yerself a favor... DO NOT unscrew the injector plug while the skimmer is running ;) Your wife will thank you for this! If you do, it will look like a water park in your fish room.

I've had my AquaC for just a couple months and found that I have to clean both the pump and the injector once a month for optimal funtion.

Dave

Back