Very sad...

Matt L.

Non-member
My CBB all of a sudden this morning was in extremely poor help, and I would be surprised if he is alive by the time I get home.

He is a net caught CBB from Australia, maybe 3.5" long, and had been in my system for 7 months now.

He really only cared for frozen brine defrosted with a few drops of Selcon on it. He came to me eating only live brine, but I succesfully converted him over to frozen brine. He showed little interest in small mysis, and ignored, as epxected, all other foods. He did not seem emaciated to me, though.

When I went to Belize, I heard from my housemate that he didn't eat the food while I was away. He'd be interested in it, sort of, but be very picky about it. I just assumed he was eating something in the tank, and therefore just not hungry. He ate when I cam back. Then, all of a sudden this weekend, he stopped eating again. He'd swim around actively, but just didn't seem interested in the food.

This morning, I found he had wedged himself in between the glass and a pipe used for the closed loop. He was breathing heavily but not moving, and I could easily extract him with my fingers. He is now in a tupperware, primarily so he doesn't go die somewhere in the tank where I can't get at him.

I'm really surprised by this, and I have no idea what the problem is. I have a majestic angel, a flame angel, two clowns, and a yellow citron goby, all of whom were fine.

This Spring, the tank had endured temperature variations as low as 74.8 overnight one night (left the window in the room open) and as high as 85.5 this Friday (before I turned the chiller on), but they were not rapid swings, and none of my invertebrates seem to show any sort of stress. The normal temperature is 79.0.

My T. squamosa clam is fine. So are my three LPS (except the candy cane the clowns decided to host in:rolleyes:) and few softies (this was to be mostly an SPS tank. An old blue tort frag started to die, but it had been in decline for some time, and I think I fried it by placing it too high. I get good growth of some faster growing SPS corals, but many have what I believe to be poor polyp extension (I could be wrong). Could this be related? In another call for help, I might need some placing suggestions on SPS, so any time an SPS expert wants to come over... But I digress. My RBTA seems fine. I have a lot of sponges on the dark sides of rocks. I have been battling flatworms, so there have been several flatworm exit doses. I recently made a major advance on them by using Phosban and flatworm exit simultaneously. I have a refugium and a calcium reactor, and my pH remains very stable from 7.8 to 8.0. I have not tested for Ca, Mg, or phosphates lately. Oh, and salinity is normal.

So its another mystery death...

Matt:(

in my experience CBBs are very sensitive and are very difficult to keep for more than a year. i've heard about similar experiences, including yours, so that might just be the case.

Matt - I'm so sorry to hear about your CBB. They are very sensitive fish. I don't think there is much you can do now except wait and hope for the best. Good luck.

Daire

Back