VHO Lighting

JenC

UGH!!
What kind of corals can be kept with VHO lighting. Plan on setting up a 40 gal breeder with all bells & whistles. Just concerned over lights.

On a 40 breeder you should be able to keep anyhting you want with VHO, on the other hand I would say VHO are outdated and a better choice would be a good T5 fixture, it would be cheaper to run and the bulb selection is great.

I also think you'd be better of with T5's better technology and like Jack said cheaper to run...

VHO gets crazy hot too......

T5 is the way to go.....bulbs last longer.

Unless of course you have the VHO lights already.

Last edited:
VHO are T12 bulbs IIRC and they are 1" in diameter... T5 bulbs are 5/12" and inch. You can overdrive T5 bulbs; a normal 54W 48" bulb can be overdriven to 80W by a special ballast for even more lighting power but you get less bulb life and more heat.

Also the Watts per gallon way of measuring the need for lighting on a tank is kind of a bad way of looking at lighting now a days. A T5 bulb with an individual reflector (what makes them so great) at 54W puts much much more light into the tank than a 48" VHO that has much more watts.

I used to have 2x96 W Power Compact lights and when I upgraded to my 4x54W T5 retro kit I was putting more than 24W's extra lighting. It's all about PAR. Hopefully this all makes sense, I'm still kinda sick and slept like crap last night so I'm a little loopy lol...

So are there any opinons on the Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 6X54 Watt, 48 inch setup. I'm currently running the pc orbit 4x65 watt setup would I see an improvement?

Just make sure you get a fixture with individual reflectors... They make a huge difference...

So are there any opinons on the Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 6X54 Watt, 48 inch setup. I'm currently running the pc orbit 4x65 watt setup would I see an improvement?

You would see a huge difference between the 2. The Nova Extreme Pro has individual reflectors getting more light into the tank as well as having more bulbs than the PC fixture.

Back