volitan lionfish tankmates

drgmeh

Non-member
Im looking at buying a 7-8" volitan lionfish. I have a 120 gal reef aquarium with mostly puffers and triggers. My smallest fish is a brown trigger about 2 inch, next is a valentini puffer, then a pair of ocellaris clowns full grown with large carpet anemone. I have a 5" moon wrass too. Wondering if he would be or eat my fish. Also heard different opinions on how big they get in captivity, any experiences?

I have had volitans in every aquarium (my favorite fish). As long as the fish is at least (minimum) 2-3 times the size of the volitans open mouth, you should be safe.

Triggers are usually pretty safe from volitans, but dont know about a 2" trigger, it might be a little on the small side.

I kept tomato clows with volitans before, and the volitans never ate them. I kept sea horses, small Niger tigger fish, panther, angel fish, puffers, tangs, clown trigger fish, picaso trigger, crabs...

Make sure the fish ahve plenty of caves, the Volitans is VERY active at night, and if you have an airstone they love to play in the bubbles.

Last edited:
nice! what about how big they grow in captivity?

Not sure. I never measure my fish, and when you had then for a while they dont seem that big.
I know mine were over 7"-8" but not the exact size. I never liked getting the little ones, I was always afraid the triggers would hurt them.
They are very hardy fish. If something goes wrong your trigger and volitans will be the last to die.

Now, be careful with panthers. I also had one, but they can eat fish almost their size. When I moved I sold mine to lovely pets, they put it in a tank and it inmediately ate a $50 fish.

Thanks, how old were yours? Seems like they don't get any bigger than 7 or 8 inches in captivity from what I can tell

Thanks, how old were yours? Seems like they don't get any bigger than 7 or 8 inches in captivity from what I can tell

I have no idea. Is there a way to tell how old the fish is?

All I can tell you is that I had my last Volitans for over 2 years, then I moved to Europe.
I will be setting up a fish only tank again in the near future and there will be a couple of Volitans.:D

Back