Water temp 82.6

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
Should I be concerned? this is the highest the tank has even gone. I have 2 fans over the top of the tank and only the actinics are on(going off in 10 minutes).

82.6 is not that bad
Mine is at 84.2 today! I didnt have the AC out yet.
I shut off the halide one hour before it's schedualed.

Kev,
Since I've moved my tank to the basement, normal temp is about 78?, but I've gone as high as 88? or so without any significant stress on the 90 gal.
I once returned home one weekend to the 90 gal. tank at 91? and I lost a Acro gemiferra (sp?) and a few other corals. Surprisingly my fish were ok.

I guess it depends upon what you have in your tank, but I don't get concerned until my tank hits 85?

Thanks guys, the highest I have ever saw my tank go was about 81.It normaly goes from about 77.5 to 80.

I have an alarm on my thermometer that goes off at anything over 82. This evening the tank got up to 82.4, but it was really hot in the house. Normally the tank doesn't go above 81.5 on hot days. Guess it's time to get the ACs ready.

As for your tank Kevin, I wouldn't worry about anything under 83 or 84.

Nate

might want to add a clip on fan in the sump area blowing across it...evap will increase also so keep an eye on the sump level

It hit about 88? today here in Lowell and low 80's yesterday (air temp)... a sudden burst of summer. Usually we have one or more heat waves (temp 90+, 3 day's in a row) any given summer, especially away from the coast. So you might want to do some planning.
Keep an eye on your room temp as this can be a gauge for your tank temp. You might also consider lifting your lights a couple inches away from the tank, or shortening the light cycle. 82.6 is fine, but another 6 or 7? may cause problems.

FWIW, last spring I had a temp spike to 87, and a couple colonies lost some tissue, and a fish came down with Ich. All survived, but I'd say keep things well below 85. In my experience, trouble can start at that temperature.

Nate

I wouldn't worry about that too much. If you look in scott michaels books and the inversts book it gives water temps from 81-84 or something like that. So I really don't think you have much to worry about.

Just a note for folks in this warm weather...
Plan ahead.
Get an empty 1 or 2 liter soda bottle and fill it 3/4 of the way with tap water, and reseal.
Stick this in the freezer. Keep it there until you get a heat spike.
If you do need to decrease the tank temp, just float the ice-bottle in the tank.
Maybe two or three bottles in the freezer would be a good idea, depends on tank size and the duration of the heat wave.
BTW: this will be a good safety net in case we get a prolonged power outage during a heat wave this summer.

NateHanson said:
FWIW, last spring I had a temp spike to 87, and a couple colonies lost some tissue, and a fish came down with Ich.

Nate,,you associating the increased temp with introducing the parasite to your system..or do you suspect it was already in there?

I would also stress the importance of a recording thermometer, so you know what your tank is doing while you're away during the weekdays.

My tanks got just shy of 83 today. No big deal for what I have in them, but I wouldn't want it to go much higher for long.

I already had frozen soda bottles from the last heat spike.

I'm making a kalk iceberg now for my makeup water tomorrow morning when the sun beats on my room. At least I think I'm making a kalk iceberg. I have no idea what the freezing point of kalk is, so I might just be making it cold. Which will still work I guess, though I wanted to float a berg and let it melt rather than just pouring it in.

And Nate makes a really good point. I have a little digital thermometer that I got in the gadget section at Circuit City for 4.95 that records min and max, in and out. I think this is much more useful than the Lifegard Big Digital Temp Alert I had gotten previously. I like the big display and I guess the out of range alert is nice, but I think recording at least min and max, ambient and tank, is better.

--cn

Get an empty 1 or 2 liter soda bottle and fill it 3/4 of the way with tap water, and reseal.
Stick this in the freezer. Keep it there until you get a heat spike.

Did that last year...It did work to a certain extent.
Didnt want to do that this year so I got this..
Chiller.jpg

I have a wireless digital thermometer that I got from work and on the other end I got a pool/spar probe that sends the info to the wireless thermometer..I dont really need it now considering that I have a controller to tell me the temp..But than again the controller wont tell me the Min/Hi temp.
digital.jpg

Last edited:
At my old place my tank was a constant 86-87 degree's, at my new place, it doesn't get any warmer than 85.

Heres a picture of two pool/spar thermometer
CIMG0463.jpg

There is two there because I was testing the temp diff. from the sump to the main tank.
Check out the skimate in that old Berlin skimmer.. ;) Some special mods..
Although it did work it still doesnt beat the Euro.

Nice, Eric!

My lilttle 20 gal was at 84.7 when I checked it tonight. It has dropped to 82.9 now.
Tough to finagle a fan blowing across the top when the fish in the tank are jumpers.
It'd be easier if I had a sump.

Back