Ways to plumb to the basement

rusty18

Non-member
I was looking over this thread and looking for alternative way to go other than the floor. I do not own the house so the floor is definitely out. I do have 2 vents really close to the tank, would it be possible to use this hole and drill though the aluminum duct and replace the duct piece later on. I also though the wall might be an option as Jay suggested but the two ways the tank butts are out side walls, not sure if there is enough space between then for some pipes. It is a newer construction (2006) I am not sure if this matters. any suggestions or ideas?
The sump etc will basically be directly below the tank.

i think the floor is gonna be your only bet if it buts up against two outside walls what kind of floor ?

its hardwood, and I can't cut holes in it, that's why I thought about going through the vents.

vents could work, as long as it is a outlet and not a larger return vent.
also when you move on you can get some insulated duct tape, and just tape over the hole.(thats what they do when they do air duct cleaning).
sometimes those vents turn 90 so make sure you know where you need to go
good luck

If you have the opportunity to go with vents rather than drilling the floor, that is the way to go. IMO, you go with the easiest method you have to make (potential eventual) removal as easy as possible. If the tank is on an outside wall, cutting the plate is probably a bad idea. The vent is the easiest patch of all. I still suggest unions and a run of spaflex, both for noise and ease.

vents could work, as long as it is a outlet and not a larger return vent.

If as a last resort you do decide to go through the duct it should preferably be a return and not a supply. ;) Each supply branch run is sized accordingly to condition the room it terminates in. If you cut large holes in it the air will always take the first route in its path with the least resistance. That said unless you drill the holes as tight and accurate as you can you are going to de-rate the air needed to heat or cool the room the tank is in. I would also seal the holes up around the pipes with silicone if you do take that route. :) If it where me I would remove the baseboard molding, cut a hole in the sheetrock that can be covered when the molding is nailed back at a later date and drill a few 1 ¼ holes to the basement. I believe you said they were 1” pipe? You will totally miss the ribbon of the house due to the smaller size of the holes. Drilling down will be a breeze. :D

Back