What temp controller do you recommend?

stevenp

(not so) Young MC
I'm shopping for a temperature controller. I've been looking at the Medusa and Neptune products. I'm not afraid to spend the money, I'm just looking for the best quality controller, one that will grow with me and last for years.

What do you guys recommend?

Steve

I went with the finnex one for the finnex heater and it is so much simpler and consistant than the aqua logic. Just my opinion.

I definately want at least a two stage. For now this is going on my nano to control temperature only, but will end up on a 75+ gallon tank in the next six months.

I really don't want to spend $400 on a controller, but at the same time if there is one lesson I've learned in reefkeeping, it's buy the right equipment from the start. I do not want to end up putting this thing on Ebay or having it take up space on the shelf becuase I ended up upgrading down the road.

I'm just asking myself if all the other extra features are necessary or just cool gadgets.

Steve

Last edited:
I use Neptune Systems AquaController II. It replaced my AquaController that I had bought used off another reefer. (I had it for seven years and the previous owner had it for a bunch of years.) The nice thing about the AquaController is its ability to do more then just turn on a heater and chiller. I can controll my lighting instead of buying seperate timers, if the tank gets too hot I can turn off my lights or turn on a fan, or both (although if are using a chiller then this won't matter.) It is nice to be able to tell the PH by looking at the display.
The down side (which is a down side to any controller that uses X-10 modules) is the loud clack every time the relay gets activated to turn the device on.

Jeff

I've been doing some research on the AquaController II. I think I may start with a basic kit. I like the way you can add the other options at a later date.

Steve

Look for it used as well. I have set up the Aquacontroller Jr, II, and the III. The Jr. can be used for lighting, temperature, and C02 control for a calcium reactor for not a whole lot of money. Unfortunetly, that is about all it can do though. You'll need the other models to be able to expand beyond that.

Just ordered the AquaController II.... ouch.... that hurt the wallet.... I definately had a hard time hitting the 'submit order' button.

I'm confident that this was a good investment and that it will grow with me for many years.

Mark, I saw a used one on Ebay but I passed. I'm weary about buying a used system since this one item has the ability to completely destroy my reef. I'm weird like that...

Can't wait to play with my new toy!

Steve

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back