What's the heaviest tank a third floor condo can safely hold?

steevareno

BRS Member
I might be buying a condo on the third floor of a 34 year old building. I thought it would be concrete but the living room floor was definetly not! The guy said there was a concrete layer used for sound dampening but not intended to hold weight like a solid concrete floor. I just bought my 180! How can i find out if it can or can't support that weight? Anyone on upper floor condo's with big tanks?:confused:

The outside wall has a slider that takes up too much space to put a 6 foot tank in front of.:( No good on the side wall? How can i find out if there are joists/beams that can take it on the side walls? Will a stud finder work?

Here's a pic........

Attachments

• Dqr12uxYryOXInYYaGUVC0qCQSq5.jpg
    Dqr12uxYryOXInYYaGUVC0qCQSq5.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 201
Put the tank in, fill it up. If you wake up in the morning and it's in your living room, and not your downstairs neighbor, voila!

Steve, before you buy read the condo rules carefully. The association may not allow a tank that size. And it would be kinda hard sneaking it in :p
When we bought our condo a while back, I was surprised at all the fine print...

id say the left wall is the best place for it. id probley do it, but im somewhat nuts, so don't take my advice.

Ya I say the left wall as well. You have the heater near the tank and the AC to blow across it in the summer

Oh and Steve if it makes you feel better my tank does not run across the joists

Also the stand does come into play....

if it's metal theres less of a chance since the weight will not be as evenly distributed as if it were wooden.

Ok, call my roots blonde, but I would think that keeping it away from the heat source - along the right wall - would be best, since the temperature changes would be less severe than if the tank were on top of the heater, and therefore go thru less of a stressful change. Opinions??

I have done alot of research to floor supports and such, i'd get some blueprints first to determine the joist size. I wouldn't put anything over a 125 +sump on anything but a first floor. FWIW, my 220 was 30% OVER sheer...that means the joists sheering off at the wall... thats in a 12x13 room surrounded by foundation walls and a steel i-beam. regardless of which way the joists ran.
you also have to look at the differnt types of load a floor holds.
you might be able to put a tank there...
but its going to let go when everyone comes over after a meeting to check it out and they wind up downstairs and hurt.

if you bought a 180, find a first floor condo....

Back