White Dots on my Miami Orchid Plus Red Bug Talk ...

RayD

The Chicago Experience!
So about a week ago I see tons of what look like white "polka dots" on my Miami Orchid colony. So I figure it's dying off just like most of the Acros I've tried to keep over the years. I've never had any Acro luck.

Over the course of the next few days I continue to keep an eye on the coral and then the white dots turned to purple dots and some of those dots are sprouting new branches. Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!

Now I see the same symptom on a frag of Purple Anthroceris I got from Bec a million years ago. It never grew and lost color over the time I've had it. Now it has the white dots too. I'm hoping it's growth and not some mystery coral eating disease!

I am also experiencing unusual polyp extension which mind you I never see in Acros I've kept. Colors are beginning to pop really nice. I attribute all of the above good fortune to my Red Bug eating Dragon Faced Pipefish. They have all but eradicated the RB population. Only RB left that I see are a few on my frag rack at the top of the tank. They don't get up there much. My next move is to move the frag rack to the bottom of the tank and let them have at it.

I now believe that whatever pest you encounter in your reef there IS a natural predator for it. It just takes time and patience. My refusal to use Interceptor paid off or at least is paying off. Will it eradicate the RB population completely? I doubt it. Maybe over time, but for now it's down so low that the corals are responding positively.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

My Teal Stag before ...

PICT0161.jpg

Teal Stag after ...

PICT0004.jpg

:fish7

Ray what would you guesstimate the flow rate in your tank to be?
I have been thinking of adding 2 pipes but have been leary on the amount of flow in my tank with the blueline 70 never mind when the upgrade to the snapper happens.
Paul please keep me updated on how those pipes work for you also. I am "lucky" if I see 2 or 3 bugs throughout the tank these days. all corals are polyped and colored nicely. but I know they will be back at some point and I would like to consider the pipes.

I have never had these fish before, so I am a little surprised at their behavior when introduced into the tank today. I expected them to hide in the rocks for a few days. Instead one has been out in the open, on the sand swimming back and forth. The other has taken a position, again on the sand ,right beneath the gigantea. That area, besides being the most dangerous, has the highest flow in the entire tank. I turned off the pumps to see if the current was too much but their behavior did not change. One is eating. They are pretty cool looking, and I'm hoping for the best.

Ray what would you guesstimate the flow rate in your tank to be?
I have been thinking of adding 2 pipes but have been leary on the amount of flow in my tank with the blueline 70 never mind when the upgrade to the snapper happens.
Paul please keep me updated on how those pipes work for you also. I am "lucky" if I see 2 or 3 bugs throughout the tank these days. all corals are polyped and colored nicely. but I know they will be back at some point and I would like to consider the pipes.

Dawn I run two Tunze 6100's in a 4 ft tank and they are fine with the flow. The DFP's are the only "RB eating" pipefish.

Last edited:
That is awesome Ray! I have been hesitate to pull the trigger and Interceptor our setup....what kind of space requirements do DragonFace Pipe fish need?

Has the stag ever had polyps extended? Not trying to be a jerk but it doesn't look healthy to me in the second pic either. Color does look better if that is a good rendition though.

Have you tried interceptor and it didn't work or do you just not want to use it?

Has the stag ever had polyps extended? Not trying to be a jerk but it doesn't look healthy to me in the second pic either. Color does look better if that is a good rendition though.

Have you tried interceptor and it didn't work or do you just not want to use it?

I'm trying to avoid the Interceptor deliberately. I think the rendering of the photo is way off because the coral actually looks nicer in person. Growth is pretty consistent but it grew even covered in bugs! Go figure.

Back