White Mantis?

chuck

why why why
I think I may have a mantis, but I am not sure.

A little while ago while I was feeding something that was white and looked like a shrimp or mantis came out on top of a rock and was watching what I was doing. I dropped some mysis over it, it grabbed a piece and ran under the rock.

It is small enough I could likely pick it up with my turkey baster, but I Wanted to know if anyone had seen a white mantis before...

The one that's still in my tank is pale white, almost translucent... it's not very big -- 1.5" long at most -- I wonder if they only become more colorful when they grow a bit more.

Nuno

remember could also be a pistol shrimp I have found a few tiny ones in my tank see them once or twice then never see them again but will sometimes hear them so they must be growing

This critter was found by sight, not by sound, and the behavior doesn't seem appropriate to a pistol shrimp, so that doesn't seem right to me.

I thought I had found a very tiny -- less than 1/2" -- mantis in my 5.5 nano shortly after I set it up. It was as Nuno describes, pale white, almost translucent. It was just out of range of my hand lens, so I couldn't get as good a look as I wanted, but I did watch it for about an hour before it backed too far into the rock. I was pretty sure it was a stomatopod based on the way it was holding its appendages and the rest of the body form, but like I said I didn't have as good a view as I wanted. Still, this observation may add something.

--cn

Back