white rings on my zoas...

aweeks95

Non-member
any one have any ideas? i have noticed some small white rings on the stalks of some zoas. i haven't noticed ant nudis anywhere at all. i'll will try to get a pic but i have no micro or zoom on my cam so i'll try to crop the pic.
should i try to pull them off?

ANDY

if its a mucus looking substance get rid of them and save ones that dont have it...but just white rings im not sure about... try to get a pic for us.

get rid of the zoas or the rings? what is it if it's what you describe? nudi eggs? i'll try a pic tonight when i get home.

any other ideas b4 i try to get a pic? maybe a site that shows eggs and larva stages? i'd hate to wate too long and have something bad get into the tank. should i try a 10 min. fresh water dip? would that kill the eggs or what ever they are? wawnt to do something when i get home, just need some ideas and direction.

ANDY

right now it's only on one colony....this group is far away from others. the closest group is about 6-8" away. will it spread through the water or would they need direct contact? not every zoa in the colony has it either?

if it is an infection they typically spread, in my experience, so I usually frag ones far away from those that are showing the stuff. I don't usually take the next ring of polyps either, just in case you want a buffer so you know it hasn't spread to your new frags. Might be unrealated but this always seems to happen with ones that I have got at meetings...may traveling hurts them, I have no idea, but if left alone what I am describing will destroy them all on that rock and can also spread to ones that are close enough to be touching. My really wasn't rings though it was more like a white slime, so I doubt we are talking about the same thing, I just wanted to put this out there since you are keeping zoos.

ok thanks casey, i'll keep that in mind, and i will be getting some pics tonight but won't be able to post them till the morning i think. i'll keep an eye on them for now and watch to see what's going on....

i came home and gave my zoas a good looking over....guess what i found...yup my first nudi...aawwww, isn't he freakin' cute!!! i plucked the bugger off and then gave the zoas a little bath. found the egg rings on a couple more polyps, broke em, rubbed em and squirted them off with water. looked at my other frags and found a couple babies on one, gave it a bath and got3 babies total in the bowl. grand total of 1 momma, 4 babies...for now. i will be keeping an eye out to see if any others pop up.
thanks to those of you who chimed in with some ideas with out any pics...

anyone that has a tank with out corals want a nudi?...mom is still alive for now crusing around the bowl. let me know soon if you'd like it.

ANDY

Back