Who makes a high-quality low PAR 14K 150W DE Halide bulb?

Andy V

Non-member
I have decided that I am going to keep LPS and some soft corals only going forward. Unfortunately, I have the JBJ nano cube, and therefore cannot run T5 lights only. I am currently running the Ushio 20K, and I need something with less PAR because my LPS are looking washed out and colorless. Since I can't go T5, I figured the best thing I could do is get a low PAR 14K (or 20K like the Ushio that isn't too blue) and that would help with the LPS. Any ideas? Thanks.

You could try the Hamilton 14k, Blue enough that you don't need any actinic supplementation, can't speak to the par.

Easy, Radium 20K 150 double ended WOW color as a stand alone. I am running this bulb on a softy's tank.:) I will try to take pictures and post soon.

I wonder if the color of the ushio 20K just isn't doing the LPS justice? Maybe it's not so much too much PAR, as it is be a bulb that is too monochromatic?

That said, I agree that the pheonix 14K is a nice blue color and not super high in PAR.

........well you might have a problem there as most people consider high PAR to be high quality.................the ushio 20k is the lowest par 20 K on the market......so if your lps look bad with that bulb then the phoenix 14k will fry your lps, the phoenix 14 k is the same par (give or take 5-10) as the ushio 10k (on a galaxy e ballast)..........when i first started to read your post i was going to suggest the ushio 20 k.................so i dont know what to tell you but i do know mosty acans and some chalice can be acclimated to high light levels......i currently run a 37 gall with a 250watt phoenix 14K and have a ton of lps and only have a problem with blastos and some favia's as far as too much light

Easy, Radium 20K 150 double ended WOW color as a stand alone. I am running this bulb on a softy's tank.:) I will try to take pictures and post soon.

That would be great if you could! I am going to be running a single stand alone bulb so that would be great.

Perhaps as John suggested above the 20k isn't doing the colors justice...I am not sure. The Ushio 20k looks like everyone else's 14k.

My thoughts were that the colors were fading from too much PAR because when I moved the LPS into some shadow areas, they colored up great. I used to run the JBJ 14k bulbs with no problems, but they are a rip-off and I was hoping to find something better.

In terms of quality I mean a bulb that will last and fire properly, not high PAR.

I have a better suggestion....get a nice new tank with 6 T5's.... ;)

I would go with the Phoenix bulb...

Yeah, we talked about this didn't we? Hahaha. I am just trying to figure out an alternative should I not be able to go that route!

Back