Why do so many people get out of the Hobby?

Paul B

paul b
BRS Member
This hobby has been around for 44 years and yet you can count the number of tanks that are at least 20 years old on one hand. OK, maybe two, I didn't really count, but work with me. The vast majority of threads are very new tanks and the second largest number of threads besides disease threads is "Getting out of the hobby, everything for sale" threads. Why is that?
I think I know. It takes a special (weird) type of person to keep at this for a large number of years. By that I mean a person with more varied interests than just keeping some beautiful fish alive. When I started, me and Moses would sit and watch our guppies. After we managed to keep the fish alive we got so excited to see them spawn. Then we would sit up all night with an eye dropper so we could feed each one individually and watch it grow. We were horrified when one (or most of them) died. And they were guppies. Then when we were proficient with breeding different strains of guppies to get different colors we tried mollies, then swordtails and any livebearers we could get our hands on. But that got boring and we needed more of a challenge. There were so many fish to choose from. We had kissing gourami’s, angelfish, discus, zebra’s and bettas with their very cool bubble nests. We did this for years until that was so easy that we did not get excited when our fish spawned. Not being exciting is death to a hobby and we almost went on to other endeavors like trying to guess the phone numbers of Supermodels. But wait. Something happened just in the nick of time that kept us in the hobby.
Someone imported salt water fish into the US. I don't remember who that was but whoever he was, it kept my interest because now I no longer needed to watch my freshwater fish spawn as that was boring because everyone was able to do it. If anyone can do it, it isn't as much fun because we couldn't brag about our success and get fish Geek points. The thrill was gone.
But saltwater fish opened up an entirely new field that no one knew anything about. If a store sold salt water fish they had a huge sign in their window proclaiming that they had salt water fish. That usually meant they had a 5 gallon tank with three, ich infested blue devils and a depressed domino with a social disease on his way to having last rites. But those damsels were so fascinating because now, we again had bragging rites and although we were not very good at keeping these guys alive, no one else could either. Eventually our damsels spawned for us and we were again able to get out the eye dropper and stay up late at night feeding them one at a time. The thrill was back. Much of the thrill was that there was virtually no information available about these things, I mean none, and computers were not invented yet so every day that we kept a damsel alive was a thrill, sort of like bungee jumping but different. I really miss those days as now it is simple to keep most fish alive and to kill a damsel you need to lay it in the street and have a 1957 Chevy Malibu run over it, twice.
Now with the internet and advice coming from every little village on earth there is very little thrill at all. If you need to know something all you do is Google it and an entire plethora of information is at your fingertips. Of course almost all of it is wrong based on rumor, conjecture, supposition, guesswork, innuendos, and drug induced rantings by someone who started a tank last Tuesday and now is the resident expert.
I myself have been doing this a while so I know better on a few things but I can see how it can be overwhelming. I read so many things that I am so opposed to that it drives me nuts so I limit my posts on almost all forums now because of the arguments. Of course I am also old and opinionated so I guess I also am easy to argue with. My old school theories are debunked by young college grads with all sorts of book learning and a cell phone with a google app ready to find something to disagree with. That is fine and is the way of the world. But I think the main reason so many people drop out is that most of the thrill is gone. Almost every fish that can be kept, is kept. We can now keep fish for their entire normal lifespan with no problems.
Thank God for corals. Those gems are still a source of wonder as there are so many types with different needs and so many opinions as to their care. How much light? How much current? Do they need to be fed? What is the best temperature and salinity? How much nitrate can they handle and how much do they need, if any? Would a Supermodel be able to successfully keep a coral? No one really knows so the hobby has hope. :cool:

For me after 4 years I still feel the same excitement of when I first saw life coming to in my tank ( astrina star) I hate them now lol but I still think they are cool in that they are there. In the time I have been in the hobby I have had almost every problem and learned from them from pest to overflows even through those I always felt good about the hobby and I think I always will love to look and try to see new things in the tank. I too kept freshwater fish since I was 14 up till I was 38 . Off and on as each time I would get bored and then get the big again . I truly love keeping a reef tank

Reefstarter, thank you for responding. Reefkeeping is in my blood as I have some type of water creature all of my life, and I am in my 60s. My family owned a sea food market so I grew up in the store playing with dead fish. It is all history from there.

I feel the same way, I love challenges and learning. I can diy a LOT of stuff for my tank so those needs get fulfilled as I am a very hands on diy person. Then there is a the chemistry which is always exciting (for me at least lol) and the corals.... The corals are probably the most interesting life form on the planet. Little animals that wage chemical warfare and have tiny algae living inside them symbiotically, sounds like some weird sci-fi movie lol. Growing into monolithic reefs from one tiny little stick or polyp. The fish are always cool too. I am always tempted to go FOWLR and bubble tips just because of the selection of fish. Reef keeping forever man.

I think a lot of the time it is life obstacles, new additions to family's, moving, tough financial times but i feel 75% of them come back, once you are hooked then that's it, it's a disease....I've almost shut down completely twice a d didn't have the heart to, love the tank inhabitants too much. But you are right, so many getting out threads every week

I see part of the reason why some get bored is that they completely automate their tanks, including water changes, dosing, feeding, etc. I feel at this point you really aren't doing anything to keep the excitement. Sure you can always buy new corals or fish, but that is not enough for some. Although I am very thankful for my controllers, one thing I will never have them do is feeding (besides the pellets they get to snack). To me, that makes sure at least once a day I truly spend time watching them. I make sure every fish eats. I know all of their behaviors. I immediately know if something is wrong. I target feed corals and anemones as needed as well, fending off fish and inverts.

I also still do manual water changes. As much as a pain as it is to drag up water in 5 gallon buckets from the basement, it is still something I would rather do manually. I may be weird in that one however...

I've been feeling bored lately but mostly I got in my head that it costs around 80 bucks a month (between water, electricity, and incidentals) to keep the tank running but I feel more like I'm getting about 30 bucks a month enjoyment from it. That math just doesn't add up. Also I'd like to more then double the size of my pond but that feeling won't be there in november.

For me 10 years ago, leaving the hobby was due to divorce and my housing situation. I can see cost being an issue for people. I think some people can become frustrated if they feel like they are always having trouble maintaining a healthy ecosystem.

14 years and counting for me. Even though I never had the same tank for more than 10 years, I'm hoping that my 360gallons will be my very long term tank. There are times I think of not having a running tank. But during these times, I neglected the tank for a bit. When I came back to clean the tank and finally realized, damn! I've learned so much and paid so much attention to the set up that I can basically not doing any major work to keep this tank running. I think careful planning of the tank set up will avoid most of the big hassle tasks in the long term. Everything is pretty much automated in my system except for feeding. And I do keep the manual water change because like someone said, you have to do something.
It also helps when your tank is looking like you want to. When things don't look the way you want to, it can be tough to do the work.

I am glad this thread elicited some responses. I have had fish over 60 years and my reef tank since 1971. For me, besides keeping the fish spawning I like the DIY aspect. I love to build things and a reef tank has a lot of possibilities. I built my skimmer, chiller, surface skimmer, auto fill, rocks, leak auto shut off, algae trough, algae scrubber and the lighting system which is a water cooled LED fixture, radiator and all. Do I need a water cooled lighting fixture? Of course I do as it adds complexity, enjoyment, uncertainty, improbability and creativeness to my life. That is what I live for.
Main light

Water cooled light for algae scrubber.

Every time I look at my tank I see something new. I have looked at my tank 365 times in the last year and still saw 365 new things. This is enough to keep my interest. It is an eco system and it is ever changing.

I've never left the hobby, but moving has been the #1 reason I've had to break tanks down :(

For other folks, experiencing a real crash or other catastrophe is a big blow (and it should be, if you have a lot of animals you care for perish) and I can understand why that'd make someone want to get out of the hobby. I've always found it to be a rewarding endeavor as long as you keep your ambitions in check and your timeline slow. The slow timeline has always been the biggest challenge for me and I'm sure also leads as the proximate cause of most reef disasters (too much, too quickly).

I can't imagine not having a tank. I could possibly see financial issues driving me out, but even then I might be the homeless guy with the reef tank under the bridge panhandling for salt money or a quick sps fix...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Moving and $$$$$

But I have been doing this since I was 12. When I was in college (2007-2011) I didn't have a tank and it was awful. Once I graduated I went right back to it. This hobby always brings me back anyways. Lol

I have had a reef tank setup for just under 4 years now and i still get the same thrill and enjoyment out of it today as i did on day 1. I have experianced a couple small crashes...lost corals and fish...had algae issues....but ive also learned a TON at the same time. I feel there is so much to learn about this hobby, and still so much that no one knows and this keeps it interesting and exciting. I dont see myself stopping anytime soon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I can't imagine not having a tank. I could possibly see financial issues driving me out, but even then I might be the homeless guy with the reef tank under the bridge panhandling for salt money or a quick sps fix...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Move to Florida may help, or Fiji

Back