Why is my Macro loaded with cyno!

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
I have been fighting this red cyno type stuff in my fuge for a while and I am about to go offline with my refugium if I can't get it worked out. I replumbed the fuge for better flow and if I guess I would have to say I turn the complete 10 gallons over every 15 minutes or so. As for lighting I am using this bulb.

old_bulb.jpg

I originaly had the light on about 9 hours but the red slimy stuff was even worse so now I am running the light on this schedule

11am-1pm
4pm-6pm

Any advice would be helpful I am out of solutions :(

Better that cyano grows in your 'fuge rather than in your tank.
I don't know what is spurring the growth. Maybe increase the flow in the 'fuge?

same problem as well, reduced lighting for about 2 weeks, and added more flow. Then slowly brought the lighting back to normal.

I forgot to add I had a maxi-jet 400 in there also.I don't think I can increase the flow any more unless I drill another hole in the tank for an additional bulkhead.

Maybe the lighting it just wrong as Dong suggested in a pm he snt me???

sorry but are you guys talking about flow as in actual water circulation from display to fuge or movement in the water itself. because if it just movement in the water you could just throw another powerhead in correct?

the maxi jet is 106 GPH...i know for a tank thats bigger than 10 gallons you might want to grab a pengium 550 or higher, they do around 160...

Conlius said:
the maxi jet is 106 GPH...i know for a tank thats bigger than 10 gallons you might want to grab a pengium 550 or higher, they do around 160...

Maybe that is something I could try easily enough. How about that light? do you guys think that has the correct spectrum?

As i understand it the idea is to have a slow throughput through the fuge but high water flow within it,so adding powerheads would be the way to go.
I wonder though if the problem lies with your overall water quality and the fuge is just giving better conditions for the algae to grow.
Just a thought :)

wait, how big is your tank....let us know everything that you are using for your circulation...and where these things are located.

you say you have a maxi-jet 400...unfortunately it doesn't tell us much :)

Ok.... I made a qiuck .avi with my digital camera showing the exact setup. Sorry for the quality of the video but maybe you guys can see something wrong that I may be doing.

Link

And a few pictures also.
fuge1

fuge2
fuge3

Do you have any cyano appearing in the display? Could be a sign of whats to come, as your diplay pumps are holding it off for now.

I would do as etszoo suggested, go no light for a day or two and vacuum out any cyano you can find.

Maybe add another powerhead? Dont think its the light as I have the same one....
however it seems as if your fuge gets light during your 'daytime' lighting.
Awfully close to your main fixture.

How much lights from the fixture is finding its way over there?

Also find someone with some macro, and fill that thing up. Id help you out but i just trimmed it back.

Good luck, cyano sucks :p

Last edited:
im not really sure what to think, you have a 10 gallon fuge on a 180 gallon tank.
Im asking this as a question to other people reading this forum: should the fuge be bigger than 10 gallons?

Conlius said:
im not really sure what to think, you have a 10 gallon fuge on a 180 gallon tank.
Im asking this as a question to other people reading this forum: should the fuge be bigger than 10 gallons?

I guess it could be if I modified things a bit. I am asking this question to myself "why am I even doing a fug??" all it has is snails sand and macro.

Maybe I will turn it into a hospital tank and do away with the whole fug thing.

It is all relative to your bio-load and the amount of nutrient-export your tank requires.
If you are not, and do not see yourself having a problem in the near future,
maybe turn it into a hospital/quarantine for now.
Then down the road as the tank matures and develops a higher bio-load, rethink the idea.

On such a large tank, it would be nice to have a fuge though (Not to contradict myself ;) )

Last edited:
blajoie said:
It is all relative to your bio-load and the amount of nutrient-export your tank requires.
If you are not, and do not see yourself having a problem in the near future,
maybe turn it into a hospital/quarantine for now.
Then down the road as the tank matures and develops a higher bio-load, rethink the idea.

Thats exactly what I think I need to do, thanks :)

Back