Why is my Macro loaded with cyno!

nunoffs had the idea of plumbing a hydor flow rotator on the end of the fuge input to get better water movement in the fuge. Nate was also going to try this. Sounds like a good idea, but just a theory so far.

the fuge is just that.. a refuge for marine life to thrive in is a NON preadatory environment.
Size is important if you are expecting to use the deep sand bed method to help convert nitrates. growing macro is a method of exporting waste AS long as you throw it away. its not something you need to keep, so the fuge size isn't as dependant on the macro as it is for the sand bed.
as for lighting a fuge, people light there fuge opposite thier tank to help control the PH swing. having it lit durring the day IMO has been irrelevant. i'd argue that a fuge could USE a little MH lighting. :D your macro will certainly grow faster allowing you to export more waste.

Mike roby used to have a 180g. and a 125g fuge. with a fuge that big he ran skimmerless.

I'd keep it on the system as a fuge and not worry about the size. if anything, i'd add more sand and a Lihts of America PC from HD. (cosco has them cheaper btw)

Scott Merrill said:
the fuge is just that.. a refuge for marine life to thrive in is a NON preadatory environment.
Size is important if you are expecting to use the deep sand bed method to help convert nitrates. growing macro is a method of exporting waste AS long as you throw it away. its not something you need to keep, so the fuge size isn't as dependant on the macro as it is for the sand bed.
as for lighting a fuge, people light there fuge opposite thier tank to help control the PH swing. having it lit durring the day IMO has been irrelevant. i'd argue that a fuge could USE a little MH lighting. :D your macro will certainly grow faster allowing you to export more waste.

Mike roby used to have a 180g. and a 125g fuge. with a fuge that big he ran skimmerless.

I'd keep it on the system as a fuge and not worry about the size. if anything, i'd add more sand and a Lihts of America PC from HD. (cosco has them cheaper btw)

Thanks Scott, did you get my e-mail?

forgive me here, but isn't that the idea of a fuge/refugium to have things like this grow in it instead of growing in the main tank?

FishyIdea said:
nunoffs had the idea of plumbing a hydor flow rotator on the end of the fuge input to get better water movement in the fuge. Nate was also going to try this. Sounds like a good idea, but just a theory so far.

It does work, it helps prevent dead spots in which algae tend to grow... but keep in mind that the Hydor cuts the flow quite a bit so you need to oversize whatever pump/powerhead you're using so that you have the desired flow after the Hydor.

Regarding Kevin's issue, I believe the light is the correct one (at least it appears to be the same one that melev recommended on RC), I use a very similar one with good results (ie, chaeto grows fast).

As others mentioned above, the issue with flow is not just how much flow you have going through the fuge, it's more of how much flow you have inside the fuge to prevent dead spots... so you can easily add a more powerful powerhead, or two, and it should improve things.

Nuno

Back