will a phosban reactor make a big difference in algae control

JTM4UG

REEFER
BRS Member
I had my tank completely algae free and now hair and bubble algae are coming back slowly. I don't have much time these day because of work. I'm thinking of adding a phosban reactor for algae control.any tips or ideas?

Fundamentally water changes and adding a reactor are doing the same thing......removing the food the algae is feeding on (well some of it).

So will it help, certainly. Water changes have other added benefits too and if it is a smaller tank (I'm not sure how big it is) water changes might be the better route.

It wasn't really that long ago they did not exist. I have never found that new RODI filter/DI and stepping up maintenance did not right the problems. Problem with using the reactor in the way you are suggesting is it is a patch and will only put you in deeper than you are now. If you are neglecting water changes now who is to say you will not neglect changing the reactor media and introducing a whole new issue. And you will only be targeting phosphates and it is not clear that is your only problem

I would look at making you water changes more efficient. Obviously the larger the tank the harder they are so streamlining is extremely helpful. I have mine down to less than 10 minute for a 60gallon change and if I get interrupted I can stop and come back later. Oh and I can do it without touching water just change the sequence of valve. Or you could setup up a peristaltic pumps to automate water changes on a regular basis. Xwater in Xwater out

At this point a reactor will not pull your tank out of a nutrient issue you are having as they are meant to be part of reducing phosphates in a healthy tank.

I'm running a red sea max 250. I do a water change every 2 weeks or so. I'm talking about adding this in addition to the water changes.

I'm running a red sea max 250. I do a water change every 2 weeks or so. I'm talking about adding this in addition to the water changes.

I'd say where is you issue coming from? That is a good solid water change schedule. In the end it will help reduce phosphates but it is not needed to keep a tank in check.

Back