window screen for a splash gaurd???

madisonrose

Non-member
so i just made a top for my tank, and installed a 250w single ended retro fit bulb. i think i want to put a peice of window screen between bulb and water
to prevent backsplash and possibly salt creep.
is this a good idea/bad idea?
will the screen rot out or melt from the light?

also second question:
painting the interior of new top, is a high gloss white better than anything else? shouldnt use kills ultra white correct?

thanks for the info
kev

Why not reposition what ever is back splashing or submerge into the water what is creating the problem. What is causing the splashing? Fibre glass window screen is what you'd want to use but you'd diffuse your lighting into your tank and the only time you'd use screen would be to acclimate your tank for new lighting installed. Keep the screen at least 6" away from the bulb which will emit a good amount of heat. Salt creep is tough to avoid unless you buy the chemical used to prevent the salt from creeping.
Painting the interior of a canopy white is always a good idea. I use a latex white paint that has a mold inhibitor in it only because it was what I had from a job I used it on with a water stain on the ceiling.

I would avoid the screen. It will take away from the light. Paint away but try to use something moisture resistant. For the splashing you could use clear acrylic or glass.

Back