Xenia died out

tommy6905

Non-member
I had a whole bunch of Xenia that slowly died off. This was one of my first corals that seemed to be thriving until a week ago. I've read that Xenia sometimes just dies for no apparent reason, but their must be a reason. All my parameters are within range
Temp 79
Cal 420
Alk 10
Mag had a reading of 1290 before I dosed last night
Phos 0
Nitrates 5
Ammonia 0

I run kalkwasser in my ato about a half teaspoon per gallon, has maintained calc and alk perfect(not much sps)

I know most would be happy with Xenia dying off lol but I actually like the stuff, also everything else in my tank is thriving

Congrats! It took me a day, drenched wet, took two showers, a lot of curse words, to clean up my 200 gallon reef tank that was infested with xenia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! It took me a day, drenched wet, took two showers, a lot of curse words, to clean up my 200 gallon reef tank that was infested with xenia.

Hahaha apparently i couldve just watched your tanks and saved you all the heart ache

I lost all of my xenia too. Had it for years, and then one day I noticed it was gone. I never saw it happening. The same thing occurred recently in a different tank with my Japanese cloves. I had them everywhere and then all of a sudden there are just a couple here and there. Nothing is showing signs of stress. It's almost like they decided it was time to go.

I lost all of my xenia too. Had it for years, and then one day I noticed it was gone. I never saw it happening. The same thing occurred recently in a different tank with my Japanese cloves. I had them everywhere and then all of a sudden there are just a couple here and there. Nothing is showing signs of stress. It's almost like they decided it was time to go.
Very strange, I've read temp or nitrate swings could cause it to die out, but I doubt the nitrate theory and try and keep them low with w/c. And a temp swing is not possible quite yet since the real hot days have yet to come. Temps always constant in the 78-79 range

I know Dong and others use it for filtration if nitrates. If it was too low maybe they starved?

Back