You can catch a Yellow Tang in a 180 Gal reef tank. score Reefer 1 Fish 0

Glenn E King

Non-member
I have been trying to catch a yellow tang in my 180 Gal reef for 6 months. He is belligerent and kills any new additions. I have searched the web and tried everything. I even resorted to the fish hook on monofiliment line. After catching and having to unhook every other in inhabitant of the tank I was ready to give up. It's a little disconcerting to haul a beautiful expensive fish out of the tank like a blue gill , unhook it and hope it survives. Last weekend I was looking at 55 gal drums and thinking about draining the tank.

Here's what finally worked: I bought the biggest hand net I could find. I put it in the tank and left it there for three days and I didn't feed the fish. The net was ugly to look at and I was worried about damaging my coral. On day four I began putting a little mysis in the net so the fish had to go in to eat. The yellow tang would approach but not enter or get close enough to net him. On day five I baited the trap but he still wouldn't get close or go in . So as other fish entered the net I dropped mysis in in front of the net like chum on " Wicked Tuna".
Sure enough the yellow tang got close enough that I could net him. I went went upstairs and did a victory dance in front of my wife.

Her response " You take this much too seriously " " Are you proud you out-witted a a fish? "

Throw it back in and tell her if she can't re-catch it in a week she's outta there! ;)

Lol she just doesn't understand how much of an accomplishment it was to catch that sucker! Congrats!
I've had my share of fish that were tough to catch too. Not only in my tanks while trying not to hit corals, but at the LFS.
I remember specifically one grouper we tried catching in a 180 chock full of live rock, some corals, and a bunch of other fish.
Ended up taking all the rock out and half the water, so i'm glad you didn't have to resort to that!

Woohoo congrat !!! I know exactly how hard this must be, just did one last week. I had to tear down my tank though.

so Big victory to you, BRAVO !!!

Her response " You take this much too seriously " " Are you proud you out-witted a a fish? "

Haha! Yesterday my wife told me that the "angelfish was acting funny". I told her that we don't have an angelfish and asked her what she was talking about. she replied, "that big yellow fish". I told her that that was a Tang and got same line and the eye roll.

I am going to try that. I have a Hippo Tang that I need to get out. I promised him to someone and got so frustrated I gave up. I would crawl around on the floor because the second he sees me he takes off. I have a fish trap and that didnt work.

Good Job

Derek

Try a laser pointer too. Worked for a guy on here to get his clownfish into an anemone lol. You never know.

Back