Zebra Eel Tail Rot

Curren007K

Non-member
My Zebra Eel has been on a one week hunger strike, he has shown no interest at all in food.
The first few days I didn't think much of it, he can go a while without eating.
However yesterday he emerged from his PVC lair with considerable damage to his tail.
The scales and tissue were torn apart 2-3" up his tail.

I immediatly started treating the tank with Melafix in hopes it will assist in recovery, the protien skimmer is unplugged for this treatment as the medicine causes the skimmer to flood.
Right now his eyes are a little cloudy as well. I wouldn't nessicaryly say he has labored breathing, he usually always takes in a lot of water and expells it, but it does look like he's doing it more.
He's just been hanging out in the corner of the tank now, curled up.

My biggest concern is getting this guy to eat again to help boost his immune system.
He primarily eats thawed frozen table shrimp. Has to be already cooked, he doesn't like raw.

Anyone have any recommnedations to help get his guy to eat, boost his immune system or a better medication? I'm treating him in the Display Tank, I don't have a QT set up at the moment and I don't want to stress him out further.

On a side note, I was using garlic to attract one of my Tangs to eat more nori.
I'm wondering if the garlic messed with the eel's since of smell.

Current Water Parameters:
Gravity - 1.023
Temp - 78.0
pH - 8.2
dKH - 8? (Expired test kit)
Ca2 - 400 PPM
NO3 - 0 ppm
NH3 - 0 ppm
PO3 - 0ppm

iymHUOT.jpg

Took a turn for the worse, almost all his stripes are gone from his tale and some fish and crabs started picking him.
I'm setting up a 44G Brute as Quarantine Tank with a powerhead, heater and a couple live rocks for now.
At least this way I'll be able to dose Melafix and Pimafix at a lower water volume.
I'm going to try to use VitaChem to enrich his food, if I can get him to finally eat.
Also plan on going back to scallops and bits of clam as well as shrimp in hopes he'll find any of them appealing again.

Last edited:
Quarantine Day 2:
No noticeable difference and still wasn't eating.

Quarantine Day 3:
Slightly more active than he has been but thhe eel still wasn't eating any food.

Deceased 10/1/2017 7:00PM :(

Sorry to hear that man. First hawkey now zebra eel[emoji22]. RIP aquatic friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back