Zoa target feeding

aries426

Non-member
I wanted to see what different feeding ways everyone has in reguards to target feeding zoas. I wanted to try it to help some newly cut frags I recently got. If anyone does it please let me know how often, what food and what way (pump off, piplette, etc).

Thanks for any information

Chad

Zoas definitely eat. The only way it could be bad for them is if other things in the tank realize they have food inside them and decide to eat the food and the zoa all at once.

yeah, we used to feed our zoas ... but not anymore. wayy too many corals to feed lol. Now I just stir up some coral frenzy + reef roids in a cup of water, and pour that in. Everything gets a little bit with the water flow.

What would be a good mix of food to feed them. I want to try and target feed a few days. I would like to see if it helps open them up some.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

If they are closed, its most likely due to a water chemistry issue with them not a hunger issue. Zoas aren't going to respond to you trying to target feed them. Not IMO anyway.

My chems are good from what I can tell.

ph 8.2
Alk 10.1
Cal 480
Mag 1470
Sal 1.024
Temp 79
Nitrite 0
Ammo 0
Nitrate 0-10

I was just about to post the same thing as brady said. If they're closed up, they're not going to accept food anyway. Give them time. Some of my zoa frags took weeks to open up after being fragged, transported and added to my tank. Aside from them being freshly cut and in having been recently added to your tank, like Brady said, not opening up is most likely due to them being unhappy about something in your water. It could be something you can't test for. Some zoas do great in my tank, others die within a week. I have no idea why, but it has nothing to do with feeding IMO.

I figured it wasn't feeding on why they weren't opening, but I wanted to try target feeding when they were open. I'll give it more time, thanks for all the advice. BTW, what are you guys feeding your corals? A mix?

I don't directly target feed my zoas or my paly's. They get plenty of food when i feed the fish and corals alike. I feed a nice combination of everything that i can find.

I feed my tank a rotation of pellets, mysis and a homemade "fish goo" of pellets, clam, mysis, nori and garlic.

I am alternating between flakes with garlic and a mix mysis, brine and formula one. Does anyone use any chemicals like Seachem Fuel? Or Phytoplankton?

I used to use Photoplankton for my clam but since i lost him, i haven't. I haven't seen any change in the rate of growth with my zoas with or without it.. I know zoas and paly's seem to like dirtier water. I feed my tank pretty heavy so that maybe why i have had good luck with most zoas and paly's..

Yea I do know that most zoas and lps prefer a more nutrient water where as sps dont

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Back