Zoanthid color darken. not enough light?

Nemo555

Non-member
Hello everyone,

I used to have a 70W MH over a 20gallons High tank (aga). The MH is about 4 inches above the water. the color of bam bam zoanthids was bright orange. now i upgrade the tank to a 37 gallon oceanic tank with the high of 21". I also upgrade the MH to a 150W double end light. the light is now also above water about 4-5 inches. The problem is this. my green/pink tip frogspawn and my bam bam zoanthid's color is less bright. the bam bam is darken and frogspawn not as green. What is going on? is it becuase i just move them over the new tank? it has been is the new tank about 3 weeks now. or is it becuase of not enough light? What do you guys think? i am just keeping zoanthids , frogspawn ricordea, gsp, and mushroom. do you guys think those corals will thrive and keep the bright color under this 150W MH under the high of this tank?
By the way, in both tank, the zoanthids is about 5 inches above the bottom glass of the tank. the frogspawn is about an inches or two lower in teh new tank.

thanks.

IME light intensity and color both make a big difference in how zoa's (and a lot of other things) show and keep their color.

Bluer light shows existing colors very well (but those colors may fade/drab), Brighter light makes the corals get more colorful (but doesn't show them off their best).

Before and after...

PC lighting..
yellowpurpzoasrs1.jpg

Now with 400W MH....(On the left)
zoacityvp3.jpg

The color has changed quite a bit. I've had color changes in 75% of my corals since my upgrade. Some better, some worse. I hoping that some things will take longer to adjust than others. The Bam Bams should brighten up again under the new light in time.

Well the thing that i am afraid of is that it might have darken becuase of not enough light. i upgraded to 150W double ended MH from the 70w but the tank is also like 4 inches taller. hopefully it will brighten up again. if not i have to raise the rock up a bit more. it can be a pain.

Back