Zoanthid fungus, anyone?

shearwater

Very Junior Member
Hi,

My wife is monitoring the tank for a few weeks while I'm traveling on business. There has been something encroaching on our green zoos and it is getting worse. I've heard talk about some kind of zoanthid fungus and wondered if this may be the fungus?

To describe: it's a translucent white layer that is growing between the polyps. Over time (and we're talking about quite a few weeks here), it has spread and the polyps seem to be thinning out. The consistency looks kind of like some of the sponges that you may find on TBS rock. The zoos are getting covered in it, but appear to be giving in to natural competition.

Questions:
1. Anyone had anything like this? It's only bothering one zoo colony out of 7 or 8 in the tank.
2. Any recommended treatments? It looked like you might be able to remove it with tweezers.
3. Green Zoos for the next frag swap, anyone? ;)

thanks,
Peter

I had that eat some of my zoas a couple months ago. I blew it off (in the tank - duh - not knowing what it was) and it never spread to any other colonies. I've since heard someone confirm it to be some sort of fungus, and also corroborate that in their tank it only affected one colony and didn't spread.

I don't have much experience with it, but I'd probably try removing it from the tank and blasting it off with a baster in a separate container. Then doing an iodine or ReefDip treatment for 5 minutes before returning it to the tank. Certainly can't hurt anyways.

Good Luck, Nate

Back