Zoanthid Morphing

Liam

letting it grow
Noticed that a few of my Dragon eye zoanthids have morphed into a yellow center.Pretty interesting how this happens. Does anyone know how it happens?
sorry for the grainy pic,i don't have a 3 foot lense:D

Attachments

• zoo morph (Small).jpg
    zoo morph (Small).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 182
T-5 lighting and Zeovit? Just a guess

could be,it will be interesting for me to watch and see if other zoo's in the colony turn this color or if they are born this color.Right now the only ones to have turned are right on the egde of the colony so this makes me think they were born that way.

We've had some zoo morphing in our tank as well. I love it when that happens, you get a whole different color zoo!:)

Very cool Liam!
-Gina

i have a zoas that have morphed in term of its pattern. I will try to take a pic later to show the change, been two polyps have the new pattern.

top right corner got two polyps that have morphed from just orange mouth.

Attachments

• DSCN2750.JPG
    DSCN2750.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 155
just looks like a lemon & lime to me.morphed never bought into that since I have seperated zoo's and I have never seen a totaly different zoo just pop up as you said its on the edge so it probibly came from another colony.

just looks like a lemon & lime to me.morphed never bought into that since I have seperated zoo's and I have never seen a totaly different zoo just pop up as you said its on the edge so it probibly came from another colony.

how could it come from another colony.I grew this little colony from a couple of polyps.The new polyps are solid yellow with green fringes.

Liam, it the yellow morphed grow out into colony, I will trade couple polyps of it for other zoas. Your choice ;)

I have the same kind of zoas as Liam has. I have several morphed polyp too. Exactly the same color change.

I also have entire colony of zoas color-morphed over two-year period. So don't take it granted for zoa coloring.

That is another reason I stay away from named-zoas. Because they sometimes do not breed true and lighting and available nutrient have big effect on zoa color.

Liam, it the yellow morphed grow out into colony, I will trade couple polyps of it for other zoas. Your choice ;)

i am going to try and extract a couple of the yellow polyps and set them up as a frag and see if the newborn zoanthids are also yellow.
Like Greg said i have made some big changes with my system as far as the zeovit and lighting,maybe the whole colony will turn

how could it come from another colony.I grew this little colony from a couple of polyps.The new polyps are solid yellow with green fringes.

I don't know im just saying I have seperated many,many zoo's and have never had a morph you think by now I would have thats what im saying.

Back