Zoanthid woes....

APISTOBORELLI

Bass in pic swam away
For a couple of weeks now, some of my zoa colonies have been receding. I've done a FW dip on all and lost several of Dawns mini brittles but have seen nothing else.

What should be my next step in trying to save these?

I've had zoa woes for months now. When your's recede what is the progression? My progression is the polyp does NOT retract, in fact it seems that the head can't retract. The head then just shrinks until it disappears, then the whole polyp disintegrates.

It usually doesn't wipe out the whole colony, but at least 50%, then it gets better, then a week or month later it gets hit again.

The only success I've had is using the treatment recommended on zoaid.com for zoapox, but the problem is I can only treat the zoas I can take out of the tank, so when I put them back they eventually get it again. I'll probably take every zoa I can out, put them through the medication, then put them in my frag tank and let the ones in my main die off.

Most have been closed for a few weeks. One colony in particular seems to have melted away a polyp at a time.

sounds like a fungus infection
have you tried the peroxide dip followed by a FW dip then into a SW bath?

dont worry about the minis LMK when you want more ;)

I think you can find the exact recipe on www.zoaid.com
but what I have always used was a 50% regular hydrogen peroxide mixed with fresh water leave in for a full miute then rinse with a f/w then into a normal salt water bath

be warned ANY that have the fungus on or under them will die but it has always worked a s a sure fire way to rid the tank and zoas of white fungus and nudis,spiders,FW or any other nasties

We have 2 coloines with similar issues...ours are not melting, they just will not open. It has been over a month now. I did the hydrogen peroxide dip on both colonies a few weeks ago. The smaller colony somewhat opens now and the larger colony a few of them seem to be starting to open but neither look especially happy still. Has anyone done the hydrogen dip more than once to the same colonies? I was wondering if we should redip ours..

I have done multiple HP dips with mine I usually like to gove them at least 2 weeks recouping time between the dips but have in the past when really bad did them back to back

Lost 50% of one colony a couple of weeks ago, did a Povidone/Iodine dip/fw dip, the rest are okay but 50% just gone.

Ok, great. It's been a few weeks (at least) and they look better but still are not opening. I think I will try dipping them again since now I know it is ok to do so. Thanks.

Back