Zoanthids changes and questions.

ryter138

Non-member
When I first acquired my zoas the fingers were green (shown in top pic) after 2 months the fingers dropped off like leaves on a tree in autumn. Now they have red fingers (shown in bottom pic) is this something to worry about? I ask only because some coral species can be poisonous.

Tank specs
20 gallon high
Ps1 fluval skimmer
Aquaclear 10 powerhead 80gph
Marineland maxi jet 400 110gph
Sunsun canister filter 300gph
30lbs love sand
25 lbs love rock
Double t5 light 12k and actinic bulbs (10-12 hours on per day)
Coral - bubble tip- purple digi- pulsing Xenia- star polyps( yellow+ purple)

Only coral I have trouble with is the purple digi. It's very slowly progressing

Fish onyx clown
6 line wrasse
Diamond watchman
4x hermits
4-6x snails.

Parameters
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Alkalinity about 300
Ph 8
Salinity 1.025

Fish are fed twice a day
morning flake food
Night frozen brine

Corals receive
Kent nano (2 part) every two weeks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 192
It's cynobacteria dip in 15 percent hydrogen peroxideB

From the pics, I agree with Frank. Maybe the zoos are reacting to the cyano and curling up?
Cut back on feeding, ensure skimmer is working well, do weekly water changes using RO/DI. Brush cyano off rock as much as possible and syphon it out when you're doing the water changes. Cyano should eventually clear. It's very common in tanks less than a couple years old. Cyano will pop up as a nuisance even in older tanks. Lots of info out there on how to clear it.

From the pics, I agree with Frank. Maybe the zoos are reacting to the cyano and curling up?
Cut back on feeding, ensure skimmer is working well, do weekly water changes using RO/DI. Brush cyano off rock as much as possible and syphon it out when you're doing the water changes. Cyano should eventually clear. It's very common in tanks less than a couple years old. Cyano will pop up as a nuisance even in older tanks. Lots of info out there on how to clear it.
I do weekly water changes, skimmer works great produces a ton of skim. I'll try brushing the rock on Friday when I do my weekly maintenance.

3 mEq/L alk
400ppm cal

Did another water test this am with these values also picked up a calcium tester.

Did a 15% peroxide bath last night. The cyano has diminished some over night may need another dip in a day or to.

I had that issue with Cyano. Brushing it off is a good Idea like Frank said. But that wont fix the problem completely.It kept growing back nutrient exporting will help a bunch.

Scrubbed the rock it was growing on. The peroxide dip seemed to work wonders. Will do another in a day or two. Thanks to everyone for solving my problem :)

Back