Zoanthids, Dangerous?

ShelleyBoston

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Hi I was just reading that zoanthids are very toxic and perhaps dangerous to handle? is this true? how dangerous are they for the average reefer?
Should I wear gloves when handling them?
Anyone know of any bad zonathids handling stories?
:confused:
Shelley..

Hi I was just reading that zoanthids are very toxic and perhaps dangerous to handle? is this true? how dangerous are they for the average reefer?
Should I wear gloves when handling them?
Anyone know of any bad zonathids handling stories?
:confused:
Shelley..

Yes! some species can be very toxic and care should be taken. Wearing some gloves would be a good idea but more importantly wear some safety glasses, you don't want to get squirted in the eye.

well technically you should always wear gloves when handling stuff in the tank. but most of us dont until something happens. zoos have a very potent toxin but it is not ussaly a problem unless you are rubbing the zoos and then rubbing your eyes or mouth or have an open wound

Omg!

Now Im getting concerned !.. LOL.. ive been handling the zoas in my tank tonight. (can you tell im a newbie?) How would I know if I have a bad reaction? could this explain why my fingers are always tingling after I work in the tank? I just washed and rinsed my hands for 15 mins !
Maybe I should re-considered getting more zoas..:eek:

Thanks for the replies..

Michelle

Having and using gloves is always a good idea. I use regular non latex gloves for most things, but the reach down to the bottom of the tank is about
30" so when I make that reach, I use gloves that go all the way to the shoulder.

DIfferent people have different reactions. THe palyothora toxins can paralyze muscle and care should be taken with those. The heart, being a muscle, is not something that one needs paralyzed. I just let them grow and don't mess with them too much. When I want to move them I use tongs. THe gloves also help to keep soap that most of us use a few times a day from getting into the water when we stick a bare hand in.

Precautions are always good. Read up. Don't avoid zoos. They are nice additions to the tank.

I know gloves are a good idea handling any coral but, I have about 30 different zoanthids and I handle them all the time fussing and moving them and all I do is swish my hands in the water before I take my hands out and have never had a problem handling zoanthids. So, proper care never hurts, but I would not be overly concerned.

I know gloves are a good idea handling any coral but, I have about 30 different zoanthids and I handle them all the time fussing and moving them and all I do is swish my hands in the water before I take my hands out and have never had a problem handling zoanthids. So, proper care never hurts, but I would not be overly concerned.

If you don't have a cut or scrape and you don't stress the coral, you should be fine. BUT, I would never tell anyone not to be concerned about it. All it takes is a cut on your finger that you didn't know about and some touchy zoas. I have a small colony thay I moved once and as soon as I pick it up every zoa closed quickly and spewed out this bluish grey slime. Were those zoas toxic? I have no idea, but why take the chance? Having said that, I rarely wear gloves when moving them out of stupidity.

I think it's a sensitivity thing. Some people have a bad reaction to them. Most people have no reaction.

That said, you probably want to avoid squirting zoa juices in your eyes or licking them, unless you're really hard up for a trip.

Got sick for a two weeks two years ago. I handled zoas then cleaned the tank, I then siphoned water and swallowed some. The palytoxin was in the water. It is a neuro-toxin. I had sweats, dizziness and disorientation(more than usual). I thought I would be okay to go to work then come home in two hours. I went to the hospital, told them what I thought it was. THey thought I was nuts. The doctor said I had to ride it out. I missed 4+ days of work in two weeks. My co-works said I looked terrible.

Wow! Sounds like a bad trip Bobbo!

The worst tank-related conditions I've heard about on here have been as a result of mouth-siphoning. Another member got a horrible pusey, pimply rash around his mouth for a week. It really looked bad. I wonder if the pictures are still on here . . .

Ummm I think Im done with Zoas..! will not be gettig any new ones and perhaps give away the ones I have. It figures one of the corals I like the most are the deadliest ! LOL...

OMG - I've got tears rolling down my face from laughing so hard! Thanks for sharing that, Nate! I'll be laughing all day now. My bird (who's sitting 2' behing me) has been laughing with me the whole time she doesn't even know what's so funny. :)

Ummm I think Im done with Zoas..! will not be gettig any new ones and perhaps give away the ones I have. It figures one of the corals I like the most are the deadliest ! LOL...

No...No...No... do not do that - all corals can cause issues if miss handled.
Just rinse your hands in the tank and then go to a sink and wash them when your done. You would not eat a sandwich after working in a garden right, just wash your hands and you will be fine.

No...No...No... do not do that - all corals can cause issues if miss handled.
Just rinse your hands in the tank and then go to a sink and wash them when your done. You would not eat a sandwich after working in a garden right, just wash your hands and you will be fine.

Agreed. I don't think it's anything to get too worked up about. Just be aware of it, if you have cuts don't put them in the tank, and wash your hands when you're done.

Getting rid of zoas would be like giving up sailing because some people get sunburns. :)

I think I m going to order a pair of long latex gloves to work on the tank.. you are right their beautiful creatures just have to aware they can kill me.. lol..
I think Im shocked more then anything since I always handled them without thinking anything of it and not even wearing gloves, that explains the tingling feeling on my fingers after working in the tank.

First, it was good meeting you the other night Michelle. Hope the Mangroves are doing well.

If you love the Zoanthids (and I got the sense you really did when talking with you) I wouldn't rush to get rid of them. With the proper (and easy) precautions mentioned above, you should be fine. I luckily have never had a reaction to them and you saw how many I had in my tank, but I always imediately wash my hands after any work in the tank with HOT water and I never put my hand in if I have a cut on it. Palytoxin is not the only bad stuff in a reef tank :)

I believe I read long ago that washing in HOT water helps to neutralize some of the toxins prodiced by zoas? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Joe

Well if I recall correctly, high temperatures will break down certain molecular bonds in proteins or something like that... but I think that would be at a temperature where it would have a similar effect on your hands. Of course I suppose that would vary for each and every type of molecule that ends up on our hands from the tank. I'd say given the choice between the two, using hot water certainly couldn't hurt! Well unless its TOO hot. :)

Back