Zoanthids, Dangerous?

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11841

Oh man. I forgot how funny that thread was.

In case anyone new here thought we used to only talk about reef stuff. :p

I didnt get that, but I did spend a night in the hospital after playing around with a tank. My face swelled up so I looked like a red marshmallow, and I started getting hives all over my neck and chest. WHen I started having asthmatic symptoms, I went to my doctor, who sent me to the ER. They gave me a shot of benedryl to the butt, and put me on a steroid for a week. They also put me on prescription benadryl. The dose was like 5 times what the OTC stuff has. I missed an entire week of work (partly because I basically turned into a coma patient after they put me on the drugs)

more on topic, I was reading something earlier that basically said that it was a symbiotic dinoflaggelate (like xooxanthelle) that only some zooanthids had that produces palytoxin. Its only if the zooanthid has been exposed to these that its toxic. IIRC, its more common in palythoas than zoos.

still, be careful.

Wear gloves always when you do anything with your tank. I had two finger infections last year from teeny tiny scratches I got from working in my tank. When you frag - wear googles as well - I got an eye infection this summer from getting squirted in the eye from some tulip anemones. For gloves, I recommened these nitrile gloves that I have that are fantastic. They are disposable and come in boxes of 100pcs. they only come up to my wrist, but they are great for women's hands and they are thin and strong - so your hands will still get wet, but you will be proctected from getting any abrasions or cuts that toxins or bacteria can get into. If you have an open cut or scratch on your hands - keep them out of the tank. I also love to wear the gloves when I clean my skimmer cup which is just loaded with nasty bacteria. I will look up the info I have on the gloves and post once I find it.

Sherry

The info on the gloves
Blue nitrile gloves powder free pharmatex small - I ordered them from Phenix Research Products - www.phenix1.com - I ordered a case of them last year for $109 - a case has 10 boxes with each box containing 100pcs. Well worth the money!

Gloves

Hi Sherry, and everyone who has replied to my post. Thank you for the info on the gloves. I got a box of those at Walgreens today and also some rubber bands so I can make them water tight around my wrist.
I will make a habit of wearing everytime I need to work in the tank. I think the reason why I've been so lucky in the past is that I immidiatly wash my hands with hot water whenever i do anything in the tank.
Well I hope this thread also raised some awareness among reefers, so we can all enjoy our tanks and be safe at the same time..:)

First, it was good meeting you the other night Michelle. Hope the Mangroves are doing well.

If you love the Zoanthids (and I got the sense you really did when talking with you) I wouldn't rush to get rid of them. With the proper (and easy) precautions mentioned above, you should be fine. I luckily have never had a reaction to them and you saw how many I had in my tank, but I always imediately wash my hands after any work in the tank with HOT water and I never put my hand in if I have a cut on it. Palytoxin is not the only bad stuff in a reef tank :)

I believe I read long ago that washing in HOT water helps to neutralize some of the toxins prodiced by zoas? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Joe
Hi Joe, ! That is a nice tank you have ... yes the Mangroves are doing fine in my sump. I can't really tell if they make any difference in the water quality or not yet as the skimmer still producing foam. I read over time the skimmer will stop working and the Mangroves will take over.
I just discovered that Zoas make Palytoxin that changes my plans a bit for my nano-tank I am setting up but I may keep the 1 Zoas frag I already have.

Back