Zoas Hydrogen Peroxide dipping.

mgreefer

Non-member
I have a large colony, I have had it for over 6 months, it has been doing great, recently (within the last 2 days) I noticed a big chunk missing and disappearing rapidly. I don’t see any melts of the zoas but I see what seems to look like some sort of white sponge growing under it and around it, in some spots it is growing upwards in between the polyps.

I don’t know if it is sponge or some kind of a fungus. My camera broke, I wish if I could post a picture. In either case of course I would like to get rid of it.

I was thinking of using a Hydrogen Peroxide dip, however I have been finding conflicting ways. Some say 10 parts (RO) water 1 part hydrogen peroxide and dip for 10 mins, some say 10 parts tank water instead, some say 20% Hydrogen peroxide and 80% tank water for 5 mins, if you use RO water make sure you have the temp & PH match the tank water. So it is confusing.

So my questions are, do I use tank water or RO/DI?

If it is RO/DI how do I bring the PH to the same level, if it low do I just add buffer like seachem Reef buffer, if it is high how do I bring it down.

What is the right amount of Hydrogen Peroxide to use?

Any other recommended methods, I hear Fresh water only dips, Betadine dips (8ml per liter in Tank water).

I hope someone can chime in with some help.

i have great luck with iodine dips on my zoas. about half of my colony closed up for an extended amount of time (probably a month) after a tank transfer.

Thanks, I have read somewhere that Hydrogen Peroxide is more effective killing fungus than iodine, I don’t know if this is true.

Do you mix the iodine with Tank water or RO/DI water, how long do you dip, how many times?

dawn has used this type of dip before...if i remember correctly. she'd know or know where she found the info.

Thanks, I have read somewhere that Hydrogen Peroxide is more effective killing fungus than iodine, I don’t know if this is true.

Do you mix the iodine with Tank water, how long do you dip, how many times?

ill take some of my DT water and add at most 10ml of iodine then let the zoas sit for about 10-15 min.

I asked a member that I have bought some excellent zoos from in the past and just this week about his method of dipping zoos. He suggested 10 parts tank water 1 part hydrogen peroxide and dip for 10 mins. So when I acclimate the zoo from it's original tank to my tank I'd have a separate small container mixed and ready for a dip. All zoos I've bought from him open real quick with no issues. I've used Tropic Marin pro coral cure iodine which works great and found some wild squiggling worms come rushing out of the rock. 1ml per 200ml or tank water. Was glad to be patient and take 10 minutes to dip. Check under the rock to be sure.

I used 10 parts tank water 1 part hydrogen peroxide and dip for 10 mins

I was amazed at what came out..
Zoas opened up pretty soon after and now my zoas are looking great!!!

I have used the iodine method also, but like the hydrogen peroxide better

Thanks a lot for the info from all of you, this was very helpful. Although couple of questions, according to the thread on RC http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=451720

1-Using a 5 gallon white bucket, add 3 gallons of RO water.
2-Now add 1 or 2 drops of Lugol's Iodine per gallon of RO water.
3-Set your PH to 8.2
4-Set your water temp. at 78 degrees
5-If you have some Flatworm exit made my Saliferts, add 2 drops per gallon to the RO water to kill any Flatworms

Questions:

-I notice everywhere I read for the dip people talk about RO water not RO/DI, is there a reason or it does not matter?
-Second, how do I set fresh RO/DI PH to 8.2, do I just add a buffer like seachem reef buffer if it is below 8.2? And how would I bring it down if it is higher than 8.2?

Thanks.

Back