Zoas Not All Opening - Ideas and Cures

agentfive

Non-member
We have two colonies of Zoas - one on a rock near the front of the tank with 30-40 heads and then a smaller colony with 10 or so.

The front colony now is not opening on the lower bottom and randomly in the mix. The smaller heads seem to not open as reliably. The smaller colony is all out and happy.

I'm wondering what's bothering them - all levels are normal - 8.2 PH, 1.026 salinity, 81 degrees, calcium 400-420, Nitrates, Ammonia, Nitrite - all zero. KH is 10-11.

We did about a week ago get fish - neon goby and a hector goby. Also a cleaner Shrimp. Could they have caused this? I've done two 1 gallon water changes.

All other corals in the tank are doing great and fully open - Duncans, Rics, Mushrooms, Candy Cane, Leather - and the smaller zoa colony.

Any ideas would be great. I did order some Lugol Iodine solution and an IODINE test kit to see what the levels are - and I found this thread...

http://www.rasoc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7460&page=3

Not sure what to do - but they are randomly opening some of them - mostly the larger ones.

I'll have a picture tomorrow. But in the mean time - any help would be great.

Here's a picture...

3527523027_bc4a474b34.jpg

Aaah - yes about a week or so ago I added the epoxy to start a new colony of Daisy Corals - maybe that's it. Good eye!

He stays in the back - but that's another idea I've had - at night that guy is all over the place.

i have those exact same zoos. where did you get them. sorry don't really have any adivce, just noticed you have the same ones as me. they are some cool looking zoos.

Aaah - yes about a week or so ago I added the epoxy to start a new colony of Daisy Corals - maybe that's it. Good eye!

I know that even with the volume of water in my system.If I use aquamend or reef epoxi it can make stuff close for a while.Also makes the skimmer go a little foam crazy.

Found this was most likely the Sun coming in late afternoon through the window. Once we got a shade - the zoas opened up and are now back to regular color.

my zoas got little pest aptasia and ball anemones...i use to have no problems growing my select zoas...since i moved in the past 6months i notice they haven't grown like they did b4 i moved the tank...i need a few pepermint shrimp to clean them up for me...

Back