Zoa's not thriving, reasons?

newenglandreef

Non-member
My zoas, which used to thrive in other systems, aren't doing great over a pretty significant period of time. I know zoas can be mysterious. Anyone know what factors would cause zoas to be held back in growth? They're not dying, but there not growing/spreading either. I've increased my nutrients a little, since my system seemed to be overly stripped of them. Thanks for any thoughts.

I do use phyto for filter feeders. Not sure what it is, everything is fine--just the zoas and palys. My Alk's been low this week, but it's usually around 9-10 DKH and the issue predates the low ALK. All other parems normal, Salinity 1.026, calcium at 420, no nitrates or phos. PH around 8.

Opening, but not like a flower bed. Kind of separated and reaching for light--despite there being plenty of light (and fading on the AOG's/blue hornets).

Have you tried moving them a little lower? Maybe they're spreading because they are getting too much light and are trying to get away.

My Rastas spread out a lot when I had them high in my tank. Some moved towards the side and bottom of the plug.

Just an idea.

I do use phyto for filter feeders. Not sure what it is, everything is fine--just the zoas and palys. My Alk's been low this week, but it's usually around 9-10 DKH and the issue predates the low ALK. All other parems normal, Salinity 1.026, calcium at 420, no nitrates or phos. PH around 8.

Happened to me. They didnt grow for 3 months, then my skimmer broke and they grew like weeds. I traded most of them, and then put a really nice and big skimmer in the tank. All the remaining zoas died except for a few survivors.
I have all leather, mushrooms and clams. Everything is doing great, except zoas.
I recently put a timer on the skimmer, 12 on, 12 off and the surviving zoas are growing again. I have it on at night, im not sure if that makes a difference.

I dont dose anything except Alk and Calcium.

Zoas are a PITA if your water is too clean.

The way I look at it is: im not going to mess around with my water to get a certain type of zoa or coral to grow. I just go with what lives and thrives in my tank with the conditions I have. In my case it seems to be everything but zoas, so I am not buying any more zoas.

Last edited:
Happened to me. They didnt grow for 3 months, then my skimmer broke and they grew like weeds. I traded most of them, and then put a really nice and big skimmer in the tank. All the remaining zoas died except for a few survivors.
I have all leather, mushrooms and clams. Everything is doing great, except zoas.
I recently put a timer on the skimmer, 12 on, 12 off and the surviving zoas are growing again. I have it on at night, im not sure if that makes a difference.

I dont dose anything except Alk and Calcium.

Zoas are a PITA if your water is too clean.

The way I look at it is: im not going to mess around with my water to get a certain type of zoa or coral to grow. I just go with what lives and thrives in my tank with the conditions I have. In my case it seems to be everything but zoas, so I am not buying any more zoas.

Thanks, I was kind of thinking that it could be a nutrient issue. Though I'm also getting a little cyano, so how do you figure that?

Thanks, I was kind of thinking that it could be a nutrient issue. Though I'm also getting a little cyano, so how do you figure that?

No idea. Where are you getting the cyano? Usually when zoas die they start growing brown stuff on them. You can clean it every day but the zoas wont open and they will be brown again in less than 24hrs. Is that what is happening?

Is everything else in your aquarium doing good?

Also, I noticed you didnt post your parameters.

Well cyano usually means excess nutrients--so I wouldn't have too few nutrients to maintain zoas while still having too many nutrients to see cyano. If I have a little cyano, I have to assume that nutrients aren't the problem. The brown you're talking about is probably dinos--zoas are the first to go with dinos, they smother them. I don't have dinos.

Are they getting enough flow? I'm thinking it could be a low flow issue in the places you are getting cyano as well. My zoas are far happier when my alk is in the mid to high end of the normal range, and like higher flow.

agree with the flow

I lost some zoos a few months back and since I have two MP40s blasting away I havent

Are they getting enough flow? I'm thinking it could be a low flow issue in the places you are getting cyano as well. My zoas are far happier when my alk is in the mid to high end of the normal range, and like higher flow.

Definitely not too little flow, powerhead's almost right at them.

Back