Zoas taking over my tank!

janet29

Non-member
Zoas are taking over my nano and they are literally on every piece of coral in there. Any way to get rid of these? Or anything that will eat them? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377989389.046583.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1377989418.106329.jpg

Its hard to tell if those are really big polyps or manjo anemones. Is it possible to get a closer picture with a whiter light source? The way they're spreading really does not look like zoas.

Last edited:
They look like the long lashed yellow ones, which spread really fast. If so, just pull them off with tweezers. They come off really easy. Just to be safe, wear protective gear.

They look like normal green palys to me. Compare them to the size of the koralia. I would attempt to peel them off with tweezers any flesh left in the rock just put a bit o kalk paste on to kill. Ya migh want to run some fresh carbon cause certain palys can release some really nasty toxic stuff. Be safe! Good luck

Think so? They look like the green Long lash ones I have. Think they're called Venus flytraps. It is a bit blurry tho

they are everywhere also, i dont think pallies travel or spread that way ...........(or as aggressively)

Here are some better pictures hopefully. They don't have pink tips and just seem to detach and spread every where
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377996054.089356.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377996072.098257.jpg

The clam is about 3 inches long to gauge the size of the polyp

Hmm I could go either way with that Id. Since there is no mat connecting them get yourself some kalk paste or joes juice and give them each a mouth full of it with a plastic syringe. it will fry them. It might take a while to get all of them so maybe do like 5-10 at a time so your not adding a ton o kalk to your nano at once.

definitely majano .. and definitely a lot of them :)

We had a similar problem in our personal display tank, and a filefish (green in color) took care of it rather quick ... you may try the same. Got the fish at Jays.

- Archit

take the rock out and peal them off IMO........
I had a rock with them on it, I left it in the snow for a week and they lived.......................................

Majano. Best thing to do is use aiptasia control. It's a chemical that is squirted into an aiptasia and it kills it. When I worked at a LFS that's what we did. Make sure all pumps are off in the tank when you use that chemical this way it has time to kill the majano. Just as a note, aiptasia control increases ph so be careful when using it. But like Archit said, some filefish will eat them.

It's a Matted Filefish that will eat them, note some will turn to eating Zoas once the majanos are eradicated. That is a fish that could easily be traded or passed along in the club to others that have majano.

take the rock out and peal them off IMO........
I had a rock with them on it, I left it in the snow for a week and they lived.......................................
The stuff we don't like never dies, and the stuff we like would have been dead in less than 2 hours.

It's a Matted Filefish that will eat them, note some will turn to eating Zoas once the majanos are eradicated. That is a fish that could easily be traded or passed along in the club to others that have majano.

The funny thing is I can't seem to keep zoas in my tank- they just don't live! So a filefish might be a good idea

Back