Zoo Blues

jackie

Non-member
Just can't seem to keep them for very long, I've lost some really nice ones that were passed on to me in the past. My params are OK, I"ve tried moving them around in the tank to see if they perk up but they shrivel over time. Any zoo secrets out there? Everything in my tank seems to be thriving, even the bryopsis :( (thanks Rebecca and Paula for pointing it out to me!).

That's strange Jackie! What else do you have in your tank that's doing well? What temp is your tank? Do you keep your params similar to the folks who's tanks your zoas come from?

Nate

Hey Jackie -

Are you sure you don't have a zoanthid nipper in your tank? I can't remember all your fish, but the angel is always a candidate. Also... there are zoanthid nudibranchs that could be eating your zoos. I'm not sure how long they can live without zoanthid hosts, but you might consider keeping no zoos for a while - to starve out any possible pests - then trying again with a few easy colonies, and keeping a really close eye on the angel. With all you've got in that tank looking quite well (!), zoos should really be no problem.

bec

Last edited:
I have some candy cane that have doubled in size, rics are growing pretty big about 4", RBTA, BTA (this one's questionable, hasn't really grown much), purple and orange digi caps, a couple small sps are doing well, bubble coral. Can't think of anything else offhand. Temp runs around 78-79, maybe too low? I didn't ask about the parameters on the other tanks, probably should have......

Jacki,

I had the same problem in my 20 gallon softy tank. Per instruction from a friend, I removed a couple zoanthid colonies and performed a dip on them. I found predatory nudibranchs AND a couple sun dial snails. Needless to say, I ended up breaking down that tank and dipping everything 2 times before putting them into my 75. The zoas in there are out of control now. As a matter of fact, when and if you figure out your problem, let me know. I can always help you get back to the status of a succesful Zoo keeper with some of my colonies ;)

David

Hey Bec,

Zoanthid nipper? Gee, the only culprit I can think of IS the bicolor angel, but he never seems to bother corals, while I"m watching him anyway! Zoanthid nudi's? What do they lool like? It's very possible they're munching away possibly at night. Sigh, guess I'll have to stay away from zoos for awhile until I can figure out what's going on....

David, I"ll remove the rock they're on and dip them, I can't seem to see anything on them though. Are they difficult to see? I have to confess I haven't been paying too much attention to the tank lately, it's possible I"ve let some predatory colony go out of control, shame on me!

Thank you for your offer on some zoos! I'll post when I can figure out what's going on. Thank you everyone!

< following along >

What are sun-dial snails? We have very many small snails in our tanks and our Zoas don't multiply very quickly either.

Jackie, I believe this a zoo eating nudi. I've only seen it once (when I took the pic) but my zoos have been dieing off also. You can see the antenea on the head that look like zoanthid polyps, so it blends in with the zoas while it's eating them.

Attachments

• 2004_0830Image0068 (Custom).JPG
    2004_0830Image0068 (Custom).JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 337
I can't find anything near the polyps (they're on a small piece of rock), I looked last night and this morning, no nudi's, no snails. Unless they hide during the day and attack at night. I haven't done a night vigil for a while, maybe I"ll find something..... There is a white sponge growing next to them but don't think it's doing any harm? Thanks for the link and the pics, I'll keep a look out at least now I know what I'm looking for!

Ah ha!!! Just found 5 sundial snails, a couple were near my yellow polyps (no more zoos to eat:( ), and the yellow polyps haven't opened up in awhile. I didn't think I had any, but I never looked with a magnifying glass and should have done that before. sigh.... Do they eat yellow polyps?

I would think that they do seeing they are basically the same family
Arent those sundials a PITA I use a magnifying glass everytime I get new zoos now since the crash in the nano but I still seem to find a few babies every week havent found any nudis yet but I am looking for them..good luck Jackie let me know when you think you are ready to try again I will send some your way :)

Yeah, little buggers they are, blending in so well in the rocks. I'll have to do a 'search and destroy' vigil until they're gone (actualy I have a taker who wants them). I didn't realize they were so prolific AND eating my yellow polyps. Keep your eye out Dawn, hope you get rid of all of them. Thank you for the offer.... I still have the blueberry ric for you (I found it in my fuge:eek: )

Back